Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use microphone to create an audio fi

How to use the microphone to create an addible which I can edit and insert in a cd

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 12:45 PM

You did what? All of the steps? Some of them? Your fellow users can't see your screen or read your mind.

(except for command +S. when I accessed the file it only referred to text

Accessed what? There is no file to access until you save it. By default, it will be a .aifc audio file.

13 replies

Jul 19, 2020 1:52 PM in response to doyouhelpanybody

A .wma file is a Windows Media audio file. It has to be converted to a format QuickTime understands.

Download the free VLC Player. Open the app and press Command+Shift+S. This window will appear.

In this example, I clicked on the Open media… button and chose a small .wma sample sound file I downloaded to test with. I then chose Audio - CD and the output conversion I wanted. Lastly, I clicked the Browse… button. That open up a standard "Save" window to choose where you want the new file to go and give it a name (I left it on Untitled). Then click the Save button.

Now either QuickTime or iTunes/Music can open the newly converted file.

Jul 19, 2020 12:35 PM in response to doyouhelpanybody

QuickTime can do that. Have the mic ready. You may have to first open the System Preferences > Sound, and select the mic under the Input tab.

Launch QT and choose to create a new audio recording. Select your mic in the drop down menu next to the center button. Click the record button and go. Click it again to stop, then Command+S to save the file.

How to use microphone to create an audio fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.