Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I back up to my icloud

I need to update my OS, but was advised to backup my computer first. I do not have an external drive so want to backup using my iCloud

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 2:23 PM

Apple offers iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers.

It is however possible to sync selected data to iCloud via the options at Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (e.g., iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive, etc) but that is not the same as a backup. Major differences include the fact that not everything can be synced and the fact that if any data is deleted, accidentally or otherwise, there is a limited time period during which it can be recovered.

Having a backup is highly recommended at all times, not just when do an upgrade.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 2:23 PM in response to holliemorales

Apple offers iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers.

It is however possible to sync selected data to iCloud via the options at Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (e.g., iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive, etc) but that is not the same as a backup. Major differences include the fact that not everything can be synced and the fact that if any data is deleted, accidentally or otherwise, there is a limited time period during which it can be recovered.

Having a backup is highly recommended at all times, not just when do an upgrade.

how do I back up to my icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.