Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS High Sierra download

How can i download macOS High Sierra for my old iMac in order to make a clean installation.

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 11:15 PM

Hey there!

There are steps for downloading macOS High Sierra over at How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support.

If the Recovery Partition is still working on the device and you would like to do a clean installation, you can erase the startup disk (How to erase a disk for Mac – Apple Support) then Reinstall macOS High Sierra using a bootable installer of macOS High Sierra (How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support).

Note that a bootable installer is used in this instance as you are trying to install an older version of macOS. By default, upgrading via macOS Recovery will install the most recent version of macOS available for your device, which doesn't seem ideal for your situation.

Best of luck! Let us know how you go.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 11:15 PM in response to nickpol

Hey there!

There are steps for downloading macOS High Sierra over at How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support.

If the Recovery Partition is still working on the device and you would like to do a clean installation, you can erase the startup disk (How to erase a disk for Mac – Apple Support) then Reinstall macOS High Sierra using a bootable installer of macOS High Sierra (How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support).

Note that a bootable installer is used in this instance as you are trying to install an older version of macOS. By default, upgrading via macOS Recovery will install the most recent version of macOS available for your device, which doesn't seem ideal for your situation.

Best of luck! Let us know how you go.

Jul 19, 2020 11:58 PM in response to nickpol

nickpol Said:

"MacOS High Sierra download: How can i download macOS High Sierra for my old iMac in order to make a clean installation."

-------

IMPORTANT:

Create a Time Machine Backup Prior to Formatting:

Prior to the formatting of your drive, be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the format. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity.

MacOS High Sierra download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.