Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac extended desktop

Three Qs:

1. I have a 2017 iMac 5k Retina display, 27-inch. I'm trying to connect to an external monitor as an extended desktop. No option is available in System Preferences/Displays. Can I do this with my iMac?
  2. If I can, what monitors are recommended? I'm considering an HP Pavilion (27-inch = $400).
  3. HDMI mini display port adapter seems to have the old thunderbolt; can I use an old-to-new thunderbolt adapter to go from iMac --> new TB --> old TB --> mini display port adapter --> HDMI --> monitor?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 11:23 PM

1. Yes you can connect an external monitor. System Preferences for external monitors will only appear in System Preferences > Displays when an external monitor is connected to your iMac.
  2. It depends what you are using the monitor for. There are lot of different factors which come into monitors (eg. the panel technology being utilised, refresh rate, colour accuracy, ports available and many more). Just make sure you research heavily and check that the monitor will meet your needs. I would recommend a monitor which is at least 1080p resolution and supports at least 60Hz refresh rate at 1080p.
  3. Theoretically you could, but I would strongly advise against it. This can cause latency issues and may inhibit refresh rates of the external display. I'd recommend just purchasing one of Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter's which will work with your iMac.

Best of luck, let us know how you go!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 11:23 PM in response to Mr_Peabody_60

1. Yes you can connect an external monitor. System Preferences for external monitors will only appear in System Preferences > Displays when an external monitor is connected to your iMac.
  2. It depends what you are using the monitor for. There are lot of different factors which come into monitors (eg. the panel technology being utilised, refresh rate, colour accuracy, ports available and many more). Just make sure you research heavily and check that the monitor will meet your needs. I would recommend a monitor which is at least 1080p resolution and supports at least 60Hz refresh rate at 1080p.
  3. Theoretically you could, but I would strongly advise against it. This can cause latency issues and may inhibit refresh rates of the external display. I'd recommend just purchasing one of Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter's which will work with your iMac.

Best of luck, let us know how you go!

iMac extended desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.