Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to add music files from USB drive to Music library

Hi,

After selecting Add to library, I cannot locate the files from the USB drive within my Music library.

I cannot find the files when searching in Finder.

Any advice appreciated.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 5:31 PM

Laurent,

Sure. iTunes goes according to the Title/Artist/Album in the metadata of the track, which may or may not have any resemblance to the filename!

After you add new tracks, set your Songs list to View As > Songs, and then sort by Date Added, descending. The ones you just added will be first on the list, and you can easily find them even if they have unexpected names.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2020 5:31 PM in response to LaurentJos

Laurent,

Sure. iTunes goes according to the Title/Artist/Album in the metadata of the track, which may or may not have any resemblance to the filename!

After you add new tracks, set your Songs list to View As > Songs, and then sort by Date Added, descending. The ones you just added will be first on the list, and you can easily find them even if they have unexpected names.

Jul 21, 2020 2:15 PM in response to ed2345

Hi ed2345,

At first glance it didn't work, but after checking more carefully I realise that it had been placing all the mp3 files in the library, although 'magically' restructured them. Now the folders I dragged into the Add to Music folder have been relocated in what seems to be a more organised structure although there are a few anomalies. I cannot locate an audio story by the name used on the memory stick, but it is in there, just by what the Music App seemed to have renamed it.

Does this make sense?

Can you explain what's happened?

No worries if you don't want to.

Unable to add music files from USB drive to Music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.