Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cleared my hard drive to attempt to restore it so i could sell it and now im getting a flashing folder with a questionmark in it.

I tried to restore my computer and delete all info from the hard drive and now it won’t reboot. I’m getting a flashing folder with a question mark in it. There was nothing wrong with it before I tried to reset it following PC mag’s instructions.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 5:00 PM

You will first need to erase the disk according to How to erase a disk for Mac. Follow the first set of instructions—the ones under How to erase your disk.

Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) not APFS as shown in the screenshot. For its Partition Scheme, choose GUID Partition Map. Do that for each of the two devices.

Then you will need to fix the split Fusion Drive according to How to fix a split Fusion Drive.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 5:00 PM in response to Hollywoodhowell

You will first need to erase the disk according to How to erase a disk for Mac. Follow the first set of instructions—the ones under How to erase your disk.

Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) not APFS as shown in the screenshot. For its Partition Scheme, choose GUID Partition Map. Do that for each of the two devices.

Then you will need to fix the split Fusion Drive according to How to fix a split Fusion Drive.

cleared my hard drive to attempt to restore it so i could sell it and now im getting a flashing folder with a questionmark in it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.