Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems after Catalina update 10.15.6 (Safari crashes, finder crashes, no network resources)

Hi all,

I seem to be the only person so far with these problems, starting immediately after the Catalina update 10.15.6. Any insights would be appreciated. Machine is a 2012 Mac Mini.

Issue 1: Safari crashes upon starting. Find log below.

Issue 2: any right button click on a desktop item causes a Finder reset (finder windows close, icons disappear for a second)

Issue 3: no network sources are seen, but connections that are already established remain accessible

Most apps work and I'm now using Chrome to access the web.

I had a free version of Malwarebytes running. Removing it did not help.

I also tried reinstalling MacOS but after about fifteen minutes the recovery would report:

'The operation couldn't be completed (PKDownloadError error 8).

I can access the machine via remote desktop: all devices save the power cord have been disconnected and the problem persists.

And finally, the Safari crash log: (figuring out the addition text feature: a standard log appears to be too long even for that.) - dang, I can't seem to manage, even if I split it up.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 4:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 7:34 AM

Your mac does not need any "cleaners".

I see that you have "CCleaner" running all the time.

I understand that is a program originally from Windows, and is often useful on that OS, or at least it was in older versions.

There is absolutely no reason to have it running on your mac.

This may or may not be the case here, but some "cleaners" are well known to overclean, deleting necessary files and causing systems to become unstable.

I would uninstall, and then run the 10.15.6 Combo Update. Sometimes running the Combo can restore files that may be damaged or missing.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2020 7:34 AM in response to Martin0031

Your mac does not need any "cleaners".

I see that you have "CCleaner" running all the time.

I understand that is a program originally from Windows, and is often useful on that OS, or at least it was in older versions.

There is absolutely no reason to have it running on your mac.

This may or may not be the case here, but some "cleaners" are well known to overclean, deleting necessary files and causing systems to become unstable.

I would uninstall, and then run the 10.15.6 Combo Update. Sometimes running the Combo can restore files that may be damaged or missing.

Jul 21, 2020 12:21 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, thank you. The combo update seems to have done the trick. Just to be thorough I did try removing CCleaner first, but it made no difference. (I used it to try and delete the Safari cache without also losing the cookies, as that means having to sign in at a number of sites.) However, that combo update was just the ticket.

For others, here is a download link: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2048?locale=nl_NL

Jul 23, 2020 9:23 AM in response to Martin0031

Hi,

Similar behaviour here. Finder crashing and restarting every three seconds, and relaunching some applications (at some point I had 5 different instances of Firefox and Skype). I was asked for logging in again with my Apple ID (possibly a loss of network connection), but the System Settings icon kept bouncing forever. The system has almost frozen, and there was no way to access the finder menu. No way to send a crash report either (or at least I was not asked for that).

macOS 10.15.6 on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

Catalina update done just after release of 10.15.6, thus first time this happens after having the iMac up and running since the update.

Jul 23, 2020 10:22 AM in response to Martin0031

My problem was a little different with my 2018 Mac Mini. My machine just got really slow, mouse movement very erratic. I tried to restart, but it said finder was busy with an iOS device - I cannot believe I cannot override that ! So, I used the power button to force it. Three times in one day, the day I updated to 10.15.6, it crashed while I was not in front of it. I got "kernel panic, watchdog expired" each time, which sounds like a hardware problem. I reverted to 10.15.5, and as hoped for everything is fine now. I am not aware of any updates in 15.6 that would help me. So, I am now set to manual update, not sure when I will try updating again.

Problems after Catalina update 10.15.6 (Safari crashes, finder crashes, no network resources)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.