Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new Macbook Air won't accept my login password.

How do I get my new Macbook Air to accept my login password so I can use the laptop?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 10:05 AM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2020 1:23 PM in response to lilybean

I would contact Apple or your local Apple vendor and arrange for a replacement. Do this ASAP because you only have 14 days from the date of purchase to do this at no cost and no questions. If you purchased it online from the Apple Store, then contact Apple Support to arrange for a return RMA.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Jul 21, 2020 12:41 PM in response to lilybean

Changing the password doesn't require you to log in. You boot the computer from the Recovery HD. If you can't do that, then you need to start over. If you are unable to do this, then arrange for a replacement.

How to Create a New Admin User Account

Reboot the computer. At or before the chime, press and hold down the COMMAND-S keys to start into Single-user Mode. You will boot to a black screen with scrolling white text, release the keys and wait until it finishes. Enter the following lines at the command prompt pressing RETURN after each:

mount -uw /

^     ^  Note spaces

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone 

^    Note space

reboot

After you reboot the computer you will be taken to the Setup Assistant. When you get to the point where you are asked to set up your new user account, create a new admin account. Be sure to name this user account something different than any other account that already exists on the system. When you finish the Setup Assistant, it will automatically log you into the new account.

You need do nothing more. Log into the Admin account only when you need to, such as installing or upgrading software. Log into the Standard account for your normal computer uses. If you prefer using just one account, the admin account, then you will need to make some changes as discussed below.

You can transfer your files from the old account to the new one. See Transferring files from one User Account to another. Once you have moved all your files into your new account, you can delete the old account using Accounts or Users & Groups preferences.

Jul 21, 2020 12:29 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy. Thanks for your prompt response but I can't do any of the suggestions listed in your message because I can't get into the computer. I had a login password for my Macbook Pro and that's the one that didn't work on the Macbook Air. So I changed the login password on the Pro thinking it would work on the new Air. No such luck. It's still giving me the hint of my original login password which it won't accept.

My new Macbook Air won't accept my login password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.