Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the battery glued in? MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

Is the battery glued in?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 10:22 AM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2020 11:42 AM in response to psja

It is still possible to have an Apple Authorized Service Provider to perform an official Apple battery replacement even though the laptop is considered "Vintage" as long as Apple still has the part in stock. I highly recommend an official Apple battery since the quality of third party replacements is usually quite poor even when purchased from a reputable vendor such as OWC.

Jul 21, 2020 12:35 PM in response to HWTech

I think it may be dependent on whatever inventory OWC has obtained. Some shops like theirs buy large lots of unused Apple parts that Apple no longer makes for obsolete hardware. Same with other companies, like NuPower, that no longer carry inventories of batteries for obsolete hardware. Operations, like OWC, pick these up in the gray markets where they are sold by auction. Of the four batteries I bought from OWC, three went into two 2009 MacBook Pros 15'' models and one 17'' 2009 MBP. The fourth replaced the battery in a 2015 12'' MacBook. This last one was Apple-branded. I think the one for the 17'' MBP also was Apple-branded. YMMV, of course.

I'm pretty good about shopping around for good deals on components I need to replace in any of my Macs. You never know what might fail. I don't do that much any more because my hands get shaky when I need to work in close quarters or with small screws and parts. I have a lot of problems working on hardware, now, that I did not have many years ago in my 50s and 60s. But old age can start to eat away at you once you hit the 70s.

Is the battery glued in? MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.