Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost my Picasa Photos whenever I update my apple software

I've Lost Photos whenever I update my apple software. Picasa (google) can No Longer be Contacted ?? I can't access some of my valuable older photos ??

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 7:14 PM

Thanks for the info, but I fear it's a lost cause. I had 20 years of photos on Picasa & most of them are gone, thanks to the apple updates. They were always on my computer, but now I get a message that the 32 bit app is Not compatible with the new 64 bit version of apple & will No Longer Open . I really thought I had done everything to save my photos (?) had a Seagate back-up & a transfer to google photos, but most of them are gone ( or can't be Opened) ?? I'm not very tech savvy, but thought that if the photos were on the computer hard drive that they would always be there. (When I switched from HP to an Apple computer in 2015 all of the photos were transferred to the new apple lap top mac pro.) I would appreciate any advice that you might send my way. Thanks !

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2020 7:14 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks for the info, but I fear it's a lost cause. I had 20 years of photos on Picasa & most of them are gone, thanks to the apple updates. They were always on my computer, but now I get a message that the 32 bit app is Not compatible with the new 64 bit version of apple & will No Longer Open . I really thought I had done everything to save my photos (?) had a Seagate back-up & a transfer to google photos, but most of them are gone ( or can't be Opened) ?? I'm not very tech savvy, but thought that if the photos were on the computer hard drive that they would always be there. (When I switched from HP to an Apple computer in 2015 all of the photos were transferred to the new apple lap top mac pro.) I would appreciate any advice that you might send my way. Thanks !

Jul 22, 2020 12:27 AM in response to agapesoulard

First off: Apple make updates but you're not obliged to apply them. If you do apply them then you have a responsibility to yourself to ensure that they are appropriate for you.

Second: Apple announced in 2018 that 32 bit applications would not run in macOS Catalina. Catalina was released 10 months ago. You've had more than two years warning that 32 bit applications would not run in Catalina. How much warning do you need?

Third: Google, who made Picasa, abandoned it in March 2016 - that more than 4 years ago. If you insist on using applications that are abandoned by their makers for more than 4 years after then you have to accept responsibility for that. That was your choice.

So I don't believe anyone at Apple bears any responsibility for whatever has gone wrong here. That responsibility lies with the person using end-of-life'd software and who updated without considering the consequences, more than two years after these consequences were announced.

On the other hand, Picasa stored the images in folders on your hard drive. Updating would not change that. Try look for those. I'd begin in the Pictures Folder.

Lost my Picasa Photos whenever I update my apple software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.