Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleWatch5 (GPS Cellular) USA version not supported in SA.

I have an AppleWatch5 (GPS + Cellular) from the USA. Understanding that when the Cellular functionality in South Africa is enabled the watch will be capable to utilise this function.

Recently when our local cellular provider enabled the e-sim functionality though, I was informed that the cellular function of the US version of the Apple Watch 5 does not work in SA. The USA radio frequency is not supported here.

Now I am stuck with a premium product with a premium price, but am unable to use it to its full capabilities.

Is there any assistance or advice in this regard?

Apple Watch

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 8:48 AM

Unless SA carriers support the frequencies used in North America, your only option is to sell it and buy one that will work in SA.

Apple's supported carrier list does not yet feature any carriers from South Africa.

But yes, Apple Watches are region specific. There is no guarantee even when there are supported carriers in SA for Apple Watch, that the North American watch will work in SA.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2020 8:48 AM in response to JannieL69

Unless SA carriers support the frequencies used in North America, your only option is to sell it and buy one that will work in SA.

Apple's supported carrier list does not yet feature any carriers from South Africa.

But yes, Apple Watches are region specific. There is no guarantee even when there are supported carriers in SA for Apple Watch, that the North American watch will work in SA.

AppleWatch5 (GPS Cellular) USA version not supported in SA.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.