Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update Catalina

Is is wise for me to update from Mojave to Catalina? Are there any problems with upgrade?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 7:24 AM

You will have to decide for yourself if it "is wise." The following links should help you decide if there are any problems:

1. How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support
  2. Catalina - an upgrade guide - Apple Community
  3. How to prepare the Photo Libraries before… - Apple Community

8 replies

Jul 22, 2020 11:45 AM in response to Ronasara

I wholeheartedly agree with Ronasara. You should check to see which of your current apps are 32 bit and won't work with Catalina. You can use the free GO64 app to see which of your current apps will have to be upgraded or an alternate found.

Also before upgrading make sure you have a full and current backup of your boot drive in case you'd like to go back to Mojave.

Jul 22, 2020 11:08 AM in response to Longbow56

All suggestions made are excellent. To add some additional thoughts: Catalina does seem to use more RAM, so computers which are deficient there may encounter slowness. Specifically any older apps which are still 32 bit versions will no longer function. They will have to be updated, if possible, or upgraded at a cost to you. I would check this carefully to ensure that you don't incur an unexpected expense.

update Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.