Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Game causing system crash question.

Hello all,

I am on an 27" iMac running system 10.15.6.

Frequently while playing Elder Scrolls Online, the game will appear to "crash" my system. The screen will turn black, and I will be at the log-in" screen for the Mac Os. After typing in my password I return to the desktop.

Most of my applications appear to come back to where they were before the crash BUT the game itself seems to have closed. It does not appear in my "Force Quit" window, nor does it appear to be open in my side bar. BUT I can still hear the game running, and if I open my "Activity Monitor" utility, it shows that it is still running as well.

Is there a way I can "reveal" the game?

Right now I am forcing it to close through the "Activity Monitor" utility and reloading in. But if the game is still running, and I just can't see it, maybe there is a way I can reveal it and continue on?

I am 100% absolutely sure it is the game, I do not ever run into this issue with anything else I do on my Mac. Also while I do have the room for it, I would rather not play the game using boot camp.

I just want to know if I can reveal the game once more.

Thank you!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 9:28 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Jul 25, 2020 6:31 PM in response to Transit13

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Transit13.

If we understand your post correctly, an app on your iMac quits and you have to log back in to your user on macOS where you can then hear but not see the app. We’d like to help.

Follow the steps in this article:

If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Aug 2, 2020 6:50 PM in response to barberlives123

Hello!

Thank you for replying!

I have tried playing the game in "Safe Mode" (Holding down the gift key when the computer starts) and was unsuccessful.

I get an error message that states;

"ESO cannot start because your machine's Vulkan support is either insufficient or nonexistent."

(ESO is the "Elder Scrolls Online" game.)

It then gives me the options to either "Ignore Always", "Debug", and "Crash".

And that is as far as I got with it.

•••

I am a bit reluctant to set up a second user on my machine. I remember trying to fix another issue and setting up a second user seemed to mess some of my settings up. It was probably my fault, but I am hesitant to go through that again unless it will really help.

But to be honest, I just want to see if there is a way I can get the game, which for all intents and purposes appears to be running except it is extremely well hidden, to get to show up again.

Aug 4, 2020 8:07 PM in response to Transit13

You've done very well with your explanation my friend.:)

It may be Vulcan that needs running, I doubt it'll work, but maybe I'm in a cycle of being wrong! :)

Try running both in the Terminal App...

https://osxdaily.com/2007/02/01/how-to-launch-gui-applications-from-the-terminal/

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part is...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jul 29, 2020 9:45 AM in response to sterling r

First) Thank you for responding!

Second) Not exactly what happens.

I can start up the computer WITHOUT having to put my password in.

And I can start up and play the game normally. But at certain times the game will appear to crash the Mac OS. It throws me to the computer (Mac OS) login.

(A window similar to this.)

Screen-Shot-2019-06-20-at-3.43.27-PM.jpg

I put in my password for the computer, and it reopens everything I had running at the time. (Usually the game and Safari, maybe mail as well.) Remember, I don't usually have to put my password in to use the computer normally.

The other programs come back fine. Safari reopens to the page that it was last at, etc.. But as for the game, it can ONLY be heard. If it was not for the games sound and that I can detect it in the "Activity Monitor" utility, then that there would be no indication that it is still running (It does not appear in the "Force Quit" window for example).

I can hear sounds from the game as if it is still running normally, BUT the screen is hidden.

My question is, is there anything I can do to make the games visuals appear again. Right now, I am force quitting it in the "Activity Monitor", utility and reloading back into the game. I was hoping there was a way I could bypass that and get back into it quicker.

I should also add the game is not frozen or looping a sound. It is an MMO-RPG and I can hear the actions of the other players normally.

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2020 4:08 PM in response to BDAqua

Hello,

If I am not in "Safe Mode", the game does load normally. Apparently in "Safe Mode" Vulcan turns off, I guess? I don't know. It was suggested to me on these forums to start the game in "Safe Mode" and I was just relaying my experience. That is all.

I guess I was unclear about the issue, my fault, so I will state it again.

The game Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) can run on my machine, but...

Frequently, while playing the game, my ENTIRE Mac OS will "crash". (OK, let me explain what is exactly happening. While playing the game, and only while playing this particular game, rather frequently the entire screen will go black. Then, after a second or two, the Mac OS login screen will appear. I am calling this a system crash, but there may be a more technical term I am not aware of.)

From there I put in my computer's password and my normal desktop appears. ALSO any programs I was running at the time also reopens. BUT as for the game I can still hear it, as if it is still running, however it does not show up as open in my sidebar, my force quit window, and I can not see it on the screen. All I see is my normal desktop, with icons folders etc.

I can still hear it as if it is running, and from the background noises I can tell it is NOT in a loop or anything, but other then the sound the game is not detectable in any normal sense.

The "Activity Monitor" utility DOES show it running though.

My question is, can I get the game, that appears to be running, to not stay hidden? Can I make it reappear somehow?

Right now I am quitting it in the "Activity Monitor" utility and then reloading in, but this is time consuming and very annoying. And sometimes it just throws me right back to the Mac OS login screen again.

I hope I was clearer with the issue at hand. This whole thing is very strange and while I am comfortable using most of the Mac OS, I am not a programmer by any means. I just was curious if there was some trick I can do to make the game appear.

A console command possibly? A function in the "Activity Monitor" utility that I was not aware of? Or maybe another utility that I did not know about?

•••

To sum up, the game runs, but not very well. It often kicks me to the Mac OS login screen for reasons I am not sure about. Upon reloading, the game is in a weird semi functioning state where I can hear it, but that's about it. I was just curious if there was a way to get it to appear again.

The Mac technical forums for ESO are not really helpful. And most of the suggestions from the other Mac users, that are also experiencing this, is that to get rid of the issue, they switched to the PC client either by bootcamp, parallels, or just getting a PC.

I was hoping this forum could help me out. I know it can't be "fixed" here, but maybe the experience can be less painful?

Thanks!

Aug 5, 2020 9:02 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you!

1) I have never used the terminal app before, but I will try that out when I get a chance to log in again.

2) I downloaded Etrecheck and processed a report...

3) ...But, I take it you want me to post the report using Pastebin? I just want to check. Compared to you I am very much a novice at diagnosing issues, so a lot of this is just new territory for me.

Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, those I know. After that it goes down hill fast. :-)

Thanks again!

Aug 7, 2020 8:56 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi,

Sorry I have been so late with my replies. It seems like every time I try to work on this, actual real life work shows up.

No. I don't think you will find anything wrong with my machine (or the ESO program itself), like I said earlier this issue ONLY happens while I am playing this particular game. ALSO, on the forums for the game there is a number of other Mac users that are having the same issues. What we think is happening is just lazy coding on the game programers part. (The suspicion is that they (ESO) don't utilize the multi core functionality very well, and it ends up with the Mac OS giving itself a "Time Out" to figuratively catch it's breath.)

I know you are probing for a "why" this is happening and how to stop it (and I appreciate that), but I don't think you will find a solution. Also this bug is going on two years old at this point and even though the game is not dead, it's dedicated Mac programmers seem to be phoning it in. There is a long list of Mac related bugs that this is just one of. And instead of fixing ANY of them we get;

“Mac Game Client

Windowed (Fullscreen) mode on Mac will now use a borderless window.”

Really I am more interested in the recovery part of it. Getting the game to "show up" again. I have resigned myself to the cause not being fixed.

Game causing system crash question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.