Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Not Responding

Every time I open iTunes it immediately stops responding. I've tried uninstalling and repairing the program. And I tried downloading the windows store iTunes version it continues to happen. When opened the program doesn't show in the taskbar so I have to force close it with task manager.

I'm on the latest windows version. I keep my PC well maintained and up to date, drivers and programs are updated regularly.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 7:39 AM

Ok, I somehow got it to work. I don't know what I did I think it was me leaving it open for so long then force close it with task manager so many times. I don't know if this is a permanent fix but I hope it stays.

Similar questions

13 replies

Jul 23, 2020 3:23 PM in response to ThatOneName

ThatOneName Said:

"What? That's not helping at all your telling me how to close it when I stated already that's how I closed it..."

-------

In your OP, you mentioned: "so I have to force close it with task manager"

I thought you were needing to find a way to close it successfully. Let's not forget - these are forums - best I can do is interpret it. :)

From a past-tense perspective, if you typed: "so I had to force close it with task manager", then I would have interpreted it as though it was already closed.

Jul 23, 2020 1:54 PM in response to ThatOneName

ThatOneName Said:

"iTunes Not Responding: Every time I open iTunes it immediately stops responding."

-------

Close it Using Task Manager:

1. Tree Ways to Access It: - See if it reads "Not Responding"

A. Hold Down: [ctrl + alt + delete] or..

B. Right-Click: on Window (Start Menu) > Select: Task Manager

C. Type: Task Manager in the Search Bar (Next to Start Menu Window)

2. Select: iTunes

3. Close it

Jul 23, 2020 1:42 PM in response to ThatOneName

Perhaps your iTunes is suffering from the same issue as mine.

As soon as iTunes opens, it is frozen (sometimes for several minutes) but in the top right corner is an unexplained icon:

It appears to be "making my purchase available", because on the rare occasions that I can get iTunes to do anything, I have managed to click on View/Show Activity Window, which displays the following:

Do you see that icon when opening iTunes?

Jul 23, 2020 3:37 PM in response to ThatOneName

ThatOneName wrote:

Well that would seem a bit odd if its busy with cloud stuff it shouldn't just not respond.

Well, it's precisely what my iTunes does when it's "making available" all fourteen songs that I've purchased from the iTunes Store. That's fourteen songs, out of a library of more then 20,000 songs - and it's every day that I start iTunes for the first time.

I put it forward as an idea, in order to establish whether or not it might be the cause, because if it is, forcing it to close means that you will never be able to get iTunes working. But if you decide to rule it out, that's fine.

Here's a thought though:

It's not as though I even wanted eleven of them.

Jul 23, 2020 2:30 PM in response to ThatOneName

In your screenshot I can see just one song that is actually on your computer. Everything else appears to be in the cloud.

My guess (and that is just a guess, since I don't use the cloud) is that iTunes is busy dealing with cloud stuff. Whether that means downloading from the cloud to your computer, or whether it's simply validating your account, I don't know. Perhaps someone else does.

Jul 24, 2020 9:41 AM in response to ThatOneName

Note what tt2 pointed out about the cloud symbol; it indicates activity of a similar nature to the "making your purchases available" activity that I referred to.

It's my opinion then, that the reason that your iTunes was not responding is because it was busy making your cloud items available (even if, as in my case, that is not what it's actually doing!). It's likely therefore, that you will see this the first time that you open your iTunes Library on any given day and the only current remedy is to let it finish what it's doing.

Others may have a different opinion about this, but it would be interesting if you let us know whether this issue does occur each day. We can then gather information about the issue and assess whether it's limited to certain computers, just a few people or a lot of people.

In the meantime, you don't need me to tell you how annoying it is. I find it incredibly user-unfriendly. It definitely puts the needs of the system ahead of the user, which is not what I was taught about how to treat my customers.

iTunes Not Responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.