Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost/unknown password encrypted Itunes backup

Kind people.

My friend has had an issue with his iphone(6 IOS 12.47)battery draining, so the Apple support team told him to make a backup using the itunes, that led to a disaster. The itunes made an encrypted backup which is locked with a password in order to restore the phone from the backup. On the Apple support site there are instructions what to do if you have forgotten the password for the encryption(in this case my friend didn’t actually add a password, it was made by the itunes, therefore he hasn’t got access to it) On the support site there were instruction on resetting the settings and the password(including the encrypted backup, that he wouldn’t be able to access after that. He managed to restore his iphone using the itunes, but he lost all his photos and even all the sms that in this case are a matter of high importance. When resetting the phone following the instructions the reset would not effect on anything but the settings and the password not personal files such as photos or anything else, he got all his apps back, but the rest seems to be inaccessible because of the encryption. The itunes even saved a copy of the encrypted backup on his Windows PC, also inaccessible for now.

My friend is in desperate need of help with decryption of his backup. Is there any chance of achieving that? Could anyone please advise him/me on how to proceed.

Kind regards from Sweden

Mike

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 3:26 PM

Scorpio67 wrote:

Kind people.
My friend has had an issue with his iphone(6 IOS 12.47)battery draining, so the Apple support team told him to make a backup using the itunes, that led to a disaster. The itunes made an encrypted backup which is locked with a password in order to restore the phone from the backup. On the Apple support site there are instructions what to do if you have forgotten the password for the encryption(in this case my friend didn’t actually add a password, it was made by the itunes, therefore he hasn’t got access to it) On the support site there were instruction on resetting the settings and the password(including the encrypted backup, that he wouldn’t be able to access after that. He managed to restore his iphone using the itunes, but he lost all his photos and even all the sms that in this case are a matter of high importance. When resetting the phone following the instructions the reset would not effect on anything but the settings and the password not personal files such as photos or anything else, he got all his apps back, but the rest seems to be inaccessible because of the encryption. The itunes even saved a copy of the encrypted backup on his Windows PC, also inaccessible for now.
My friend is in desperate need of help with decryption of his backup. Is there any chance of achieving that? Could anyone please advise him/me on how to proceed.
Kind regards from Sweden
Mike

Itunes does not encrypt the backup by itself, your friend has to manually input the decryption. If he or she doesn't know the decryption then they can't use their backup.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2020 3:26 PM in response to Scorpio67

Scorpio67 wrote:

Kind people.
Kind regards from Sweden
Mike

Itunes does not encrypt the backup by itself, your friend has to manually input the decryption. If he or she doesn't know the decryption then they can't use their backup.

Lost/unknown password encrypted Itunes backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.