Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying an ICLoud locked device on Ebay.

I would like to upgrade from my crashed iphone 6plus, by purchasing an iphone XR on Ebay. Many of the units in my budget range seem to be Icloud locked. Is it at all possible to have this corrected if I were to acquire on of these locked phones?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 6:23 AM

Apple will only intervene with activation lock issues for the orignal buyer with the original sales receipt with serial number on it from Apple or an Apple Authorized seller.

Apple does not get involved, at all, with issues over the sale of used personal devices.

So no, without the password for the AppleID used to enable activation lock, it cannot be disabled.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2020 6:23 AM in response to Chen007

Apple will only intervene with activation lock issues for the orignal buyer with the original sales receipt with serial number on it from Apple or an Apple Authorized seller.

Apple does not get involved, at all, with issues over the sale of used personal devices.

So no, without the password for the AppleID used to enable activation lock, it cannot be disabled.

Jul 23, 2020 6:05 PM in response to Chen007

No, do not waste your money. There is no way for you to disable activation lock yourself when you don’t know the AppleID password used. And if a seller on eBay is selling it openly saying it is activation locked then that means they either don’t know the password or are unwilling to even bother trying to reset it. And they should be clearly stating the device is suitable for parts only, as eBay’s own rules require that when selling an unusable device.

Jul 30, 2020 3:58 AM in response to Michael Black

Thank you for your response. To let you know the phone was listed as you suggested, as not working for parts only, so the seller was upfront on the status of the phone. Whether they wanted to or could unlock the device I cannot say.

My question spoke to the possibility of unlocking an ICL phone. CAN IT BE DONE and the phone be made to operate normally? This is just my understanding, that with the tech that exists out there, it stands to reason that there must be a go around for a situation of this nature as it can happen to any iphone owner that a password or code can and may be forgotten.

I am also aware of the security concerns that exist in this scenario, but I believe that APPLE must have a solution for a problem like this.

Buying an ICLoud locked device on Ebay.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.