Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory requirements for my purposes?

I’m unsure of how much memory I should get when purchasing my laptop, I plan on using it to edit and post YouTube videos and I know it said to max it out if getting Final Cut Pro X installed, but I was just wondering if that was necessary before I spend the $800 on it! if not, which one should I go with? thank you.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 6:53 PM

15 replies

Jul 23, 2020 7:08 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I think RAM, although I’m not exactly sure what that stands for, I’m not smart when it comes to these things, but it wasn’t storage, the options were 16, 32 and 64GB and they recommended I max it out if I’m getting Final Cut Pro X installed, you don’t think it’s necessary? also, I was going to get the 16”! thank you though! another, what may be a dumb question, what is FCP?

Jul 24, 2020 1:31 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

My 2017 iMac only had 8GB of RAM when I bought it and as I foresaw editing 4K, I knew I would have to upgrade it.

I now edit 4K occasionally and the 8GB is more than enough!

However, I am in the fortunate position of having a computer that can be RAM-upgraded at any time for a tiny fraction of the exorbitant prices Apple charges.

So if you are really worried, you may as well let them rip you off for the 16GB, which should be all you will ever need during the lifetime of the laptop.

Jul 24, 2020 10:37 AM in response to ShelbyHowes14

If you are starting edit videos, I suggest you try iMovie. It is free from Apple. You can just download it from the App Store.

If and when you feel that there are things you cannot do in iMovie, or you feel you are ready to up your editing game, get the Final Cut Pro free trial. It now works free for 90 days.

Learn to use it before you spend $300 on it.

Final Cut Pro is a wonderful application, but it has a learning curve.

There are great introductory courses, like the free course at izzyvideo, that will help smooth that curve.

Memory requirements for my purposes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.