Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 1st Gen

I just bought my 1st Gen Apple Pencil for my iPad 7th Gen. I plugged it in about 3am and paired it with my iPad but each time I unplug it it becomes disconnected. I read it could be the battery charge, which wasńt much last night so I plugged it into my iPad and left it to charge until 9:30 this morning, 6 to 7 hours and it only showed going up as far as 63 percent charge and it still because disconnected from the Bluetooth when I unplugged it. I plugged it in again and it told me the charge was only 1 percent. Did I get a bad Pencil? Ive tried rebooting my iPad, updating the iOS and its still giving me problems

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 10:36 AM

As described, your Apple Pencil is displaying symptoms of a dead battery - that will not accept or hold any charge.

Assuming that you do not have any other iPad charging issues - and that the Lightning Port of your iPad is free from debris - whilst the Pencil is plugged-in to the Lightning Port of your iPad, verify that the Pencil is recognised:

Settings > General > About

Scroll to the bottom of the page - and you should find two identical entries for the Pencil (one each for the physical and Bluetooth connections).

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”.

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If purchased directly from Apple, if the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced when the Apple Stores eventually reopen.

I hope this information proves to be helpful in both diagnosing and resolving the problem.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2020 10:36 AM in response to DarkAngel727

As described, your Apple Pencil is displaying symptoms of a dead battery - that will not accept or hold any charge.

Assuming that you do not have any other iPad charging issues - and that the Lightning Port of your iPad is free from debris - whilst the Pencil is plugged-in to the Lightning Port of your iPad, verify that the Pencil is recognised:

Settings > General > About

Scroll to the bottom of the page - and you should find two identical entries for the Pencil (one each for the physical and Bluetooth connections).

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”.

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If purchased directly from Apple, if the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced when the Apple Stores eventually reopen.

I hope this information proves to be helpful in both diagnosing and resolving the problem.

Apple Pencil 1st Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.