Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the target-like circle on my screen???

Hi, I got this when I woke up my iMac today. Definitely scared me for a second - thought somebody sent me a ransomware warning or something like that. 😂 When I logged on and logged out again, it disappeared. Still unsettled me and want to know what this was. Any answers would be appreciated!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 2:24 PM

Someone has gained access to your Mac and administrator password in order to replace the default Catalina.heic login image with what you presently see. Here is a YouTube video that explains how this is done, and how you can undo it, provided you have this same Catalina.heic image without the concentric junk on it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2020 2:24 PM in response to Shandyl

Someone has gained access to your Mac and administrator password in order to replace the default Catalina.heic login image with what you presently see. Here is a YouTube video that explains how this is done, and how you can undo it, provided you have this same Catalina.heic image without the concentric junk on it.

Jul 24, 2020 7:39 PM in response to Shandyl

It it was a one-time experience, and does not repeat, then ignore the video. I cannot explain how it appeared, and then vanished with the next logon.

As far as I know, the only way to set a custom login screen background image is by using administrator privileges to place that image in a System Library Desktop Pictures folder. It would remain until replaced.

What is the target-like circle on my screen???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.