Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just updated from Mojave to Catalina and now my external hard drive is inaccessible.

Has anyone else here had the same or similar problem and resolved it happily?

If the post headline confuses you for some reason, here's some elaboration: I had been running on Mojave for a while even though Catalina had been available because I was waiting until all my essential hardware and software were compatible with it. I updated just a couple of days ago and everything was actually a bit improved until I tried to use my external hard drive (a Toshiba Canvio premium canvio portable, which is less than 2 years old and had been working perfectly fine with Mojave). Because there was already an update to Catalina, I thought maybe the latest update might magically solve the problem so last night I updated, but no: the external is still not showing up.

Thank you (hopefully) in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 1:06 PM

That driver might need updating to work with Catalina.

Other trouble shooting steps you can take include SMC Reset, and booting into safe mode. But I suspect that it is this third party NTFS driver that needs an update to work with Catalina.

If you can update the driver, you can continue to use NTFS. If you need to mount the drive on both PCs and Macs, you might need to keep NTFS.

However, if it is option for you, it might be best to reformat the drive to HFS+ or APFS so as to not encounter this dependence on third party software during future OS updates/upgrades. You first need to copy your files off from the drive to save them before reformatting. Since it is NTFS, it should mount on a PC (Windows). You will need to temporarily place the files somewhere you can access from a Mac, maybe cloud storage. You can in principle continue using NTFS but you would need to pay attention to keeping the NTFS driver current.

There is always a possibility that the drive has failed. That can also be checked first on a PC, before proceeding.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2020 1:06 PM in response to Fartgum

That driver might need updating to work with Catalina.

Other trouble shooting steps you can take include SMC Reset, and booting into safe mode. But I suspect that it is this third party NTFS driver that needs an update to work with Catalina.

If you can update the driver, you can continue to use NTFS. If you need to mount the drive on both PCs and Macs, you might need to keep NTFS.

However, if it is option for you, it might be best to reformat the drive to HFS+ or APFS so as to not encounter this dependence on third party software during future OS updates/upgrades. You first need to copy your files off from the drive to save them before reformatting. Since it is NTFS, it should mount on a PC (Windows). You will need to temporarily place the files somewhere you can access from a Mac, maybe cloud storage. You can in principle continue using NTFS but you would need to pay attention to keeping the NTFS driver current.

There is always a possibility that the drive has failed. That can also be checked first on a PC, before proceeding.

Jul 27, 2020 9:33 AM in response to Fartgum

So, if it's simply a case of me moving all the stuff I have on the Toshiba (not all that very much, thankfully) to a temporary drive, reformatting the Toshiba to a Mac-friendly format, and finally putting all the data back to the Toshiba, then I guess that's what I'll do.

That's what I'd do. Format it as shown in this screenshot:

Jul 25, 2020 2:24 PM in response to Fartgum

...and yes indeed, the software update worked as hoped. Only thing is that now apparently I'll have to pay for it once the trial period ends, whereas the version I had been using before was free because it came with. Oh well I'll just have count blessings considering things could be considerably less nice the way things are nowadays oy vey.

Jul 25, 2020 6:29 PM in response to Fartgum

Fartgum wrote:

...Only thing is that now apparently I'll have to pay for it once the trial period ends, whereas the version I had been using before was free because it came with.

This bothers me, that you are being charged for these drivers. I guess I've grudgingly finally made peace with ongoing fees for Office-365, and some Adobe software, but this is simply a driver so you can mount the disk. Is there a separate fee for every single disk??? And, as Barney points out, this will likely be a recurring problem with any or each update from Apple to the OS, sometimes even security updates have resulted in incompatibilities with these special drivers. After every new update, scores of people post " ...now I can't access my external drive" because of these things. Unless you have a requirement to be able to read the drive on a Windows machine, I would reformat it (after safely copying the files off) to a standard format (HFS+ or APFS) and then you won't have to worry about these surprises.

Jul 26, 2020 10:55 PM in response to steve626

I only bought this particular model due to several good reviews of it. I had no idea that the formatting thing was such an issue. What you suggest sounds worth the effort, all things considered. So, if it's simply a case of me moving all the stuff I have on the Toshiba (not all that very much, thankfully) to a temporary drive, reformatting the Toshiba to a Mac-friendly format, and finally putting all the data back to the Toshiba, then I guess that's what I'll do.

I just updated from Mojave to Catalina and now my external hard drive is inaccessible.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.