Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add/remove files from my Seagate Backup Plus Drive anymore

I bought two Seagate Backup Plus Drives to save all my photos and files. They worked perfectly fine with my MacBook Air; however, about a month ago I bought a new laptop, a MacBook Pro. Now, I can't add or remove any files on my external hard drives. I tried going into the "Sharing & Permissions" tab to give myself access to 'Read & Write' but I get a message saying "The operation can’t be completed because you don't have the necessary permission." It shows the name I had for my last computer, but not the current name of my MacBook Pro. In the 'Get Info' the format says: Windows NT File System (NTFS). How can I resolve this issue without reformatting and erasing all the data on my external hard drives because all my photos and documents are trapped on these external drives. Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 6:47 PM

If the drive is formatted NTFS then you had installed and were using a third party app to allow your computer to read/write the drive. If you did not install a similar third party app on your new computer this is why you can't read/write the NTFS formatted drive. Paragon and Tuxera are such apps.

This is why people format their external drive for their Mac. So that they don't have to rely on third party apps.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2020 6:47 PM in response to Gutata

If the drive is formatted NTFS then you had installed and were using a third party app to allow your computer to read/write the drive. If you did not install a similar third party app on your new computer this is why you can't read/write the NTFS formatted drive. Paragon and Tuxera are such apps.

This is why people format their external drive for their Mac. So that they don't have to rely on third party apps.

Can't add/remove files from my Seagate Backup Plus Drive anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.