Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos crashes immediately after opening

I'm running a 2011 MacBook Pro 13inch, with MacOS High Sierra. v10.13.6

The problems started today after I allowed security update 2020-004 to install, and the MacOS Supplemental Update (to help 32 bit apps run).

When I try to start Photos, I get a small window that says "Photos quit unexpectedly." with buttons "Ignore", "Report", "Reopen". Ignore doesn't help. Report just sends stuff to Apple. Reopen gets me the same message window.

I have searched the internet and tried several things. Among them are:

1. Holding Down "Command / Option" and restarting so I can rebuild the database. NO GOOD. I get the same message window. I'm not even offered a chance to rebuild or select anything.
  2. Rebooted in safe mode and tried opening Photos. NO GOOD. I get the same message window.
  3. I've run the Disk Utility, and it says everything is just fine.
  4. I've logged in as another user, and I get the same message window.
  5. I've tried "Stellar Repair for Photo", and it won't even let me select the photo library or even look in the Photo Library folder.

Can you help, or do I need to take it into the Genius Bar?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 2:57 AM

Where is your Photos Library stored? If it is on an external volume, check if the external volume is meeting all requirements listed here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Even if Photos could use the library previously on an unsuitable volume, it may no longer be possible, after a system update.

Occasionally, the the Photos icon in the Dock will be linked to the older version of the Photos.app. Try to launch Photos directly from the Applications folder to be sure, that you are launching the updated version.

• Open the folder "Application", select Photos, double click Photos.

Does the version in your Applications folder run without crashes?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2020 2:57 AM in response to Design105

Where is your Photos Library stored? If it is on an external volume, check if the external volume is meeting all requirements listed here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Even if Photos could use the library previously on an unsuitable volume, it may no longer be possible, after a system update.

Occasionally, the the Photos icon in the Dock will be linked to the older version of the Photos.app. Try to launch Photos directly from the Applications folder to be sure, that you are launching the updated version.

• Open the folder "Application", select Photos, double click Photos.

Does the version in your Applications folder run without crashes?

Photos crashes immediately after opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.