Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A little late, but updating from Sierra to High Sierra is problem

II have a install macOS High Sierra USB drive, but when I tried to use it, it said the s/w was damaged. Apparently a certificate has expired, so installer will no longer run. I am running Sierra on a 13" macbook pro 2012, and I'd like to upgrade a little. How do I do that?

I've tried to find High Sierra on App Store, no dice. The Apple article about updating to High Sierra points to an iTunes URL, but "that item is not in the US store". So no High Sierra installer with updated certificate. Also tried changing the date/time of the system right before installation using the "date" command, but that didn't work either. The installer I have still cannot be used.

I also have a Mojave installer that has the same problem.

Has Apple now completely denied updating to anything but Catalina? That's not nice...

I'd really appreciate anyone with some idea on how to get this to work again. Thanks!

-Jan

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 9:41 PM

You can find links to the recent versions of the macOS 10.11+ installers on this page as well as instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Some users have reported that Firefox won't work properly to access the App Store when clicking on the links to download macOS from the App Store so use Safari, Chrome, or Vivaldi.

You should be able to change the date of your computer to sometime before 2019 (such as 1/1/2018) to allow the older installers to work.

Make sure to have a good verified working backup first just in case something goes wrong.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2020 9:41 PM in response to fyzzics

You can find links to the recent versions of the macOS 10.11+ installers on this page as well as instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Some users have reported that Firefox won't work properly to access the App Store when clicking on the links to download macOS from the App Store so use Safari, Chrome, or Vivaldi.

You should be able to change the date of your computer to sometime before 2019 (such as 1/1/2018) to allow the older installers to work.

Make sure to have a good verified working backup first just in case something goes wrong.

A little late, but updating from Sierra to High Sierra is problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.