Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you disable media keys in Safari?

I've been using Chrome for years, and now I'm finally taking the leap to Safari. There's one thing holding me back though. The media keys.

How can I disable the media keys in Safari? This is the single most important feature for me. I'm excited about Safari 14, but if I can't do something simple like skipping a song without tabbing through applications and doing it manually Every Single Time I use the media keys, then what's the point?

So, how can I disable the media keys in Safari? Is there an experimental flag, a good (actively maintained app), anything at all that can fix this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 8:27 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 28, 2020 1:55 PM in response to Luselia

Hi Luselia,

Thanks for posting. As we understand it, you want to know if you can disable the functionality of the media keys in Safari on your Mac. We'll be glad to provide an answer.

While there's not a way to disable the media keys, you could try clicking System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard, and then checking the "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" box. With that box checked, you would need to hold Fn on your keyboard to use the special features of any of the function keys: How to use the function keys on your Mac

If that's not quite what you're looking for, you can always send your suggestion to Apple here: Product Feedback

Take care.

Aug 14, 2020 9:54 PM in response to Leanne_68

Thats ridiculous from Apple (not giving the user an option to [DISABLE keyboard MEDIA KEYS] on Safari.

That's different from changing the "standard function keys".

That means make Safari ignore controls from the macbook media keys.

A practical example (and horrible for the user) is when we are listening to Music.app, or iTunes.app, listening some music, and while navigating on Safari (e.g: on some game preview website [which I wanna read about the game, to buy it) that site has some video preview content about the game itself. Well, thhis is how the PROBLEM starts on Apple Safari, because i am listening to AppleMusic on Music/iTunes app while reading about the game on Safari

Then I decide to change the music, to advance iTunes/Music to the next song (while reading the website on Safari)

And I CAN'T

Becaus Safari stole the Keyboard Media Keys to control the 'video content' on the 3rd party game website [which I am not interested (on the video on that site)] I was there just READING about the game, but Safari does NOT let the macbook Media Keys control Music/iTunes anymore...

Thats a shame about Apple products and the lack of user options to decide what is better for each one.

Get MS Edge for MacOS, it has that option to not override the media keys for itself.

C'mon Apple, I love your products, but you [the company] is not anymore how you used to be, where the users had their choices on configuring the products [hard/soft] we buy from you.

Don't limit the users options, give the users more options, the more they have the more they will thank you [the Apple Company]

Really, Microsof Edge is doing all we wanted on Safari for years.

And on the roadmap, MS Edge will gonna kill Safari on the short time [if Apple continues to limit and limit the user's optinos] And I can tell more about it, I am beta-testing Safari 14 on Catalina, and there are fewer options (again the same thinking about removing users options) than Safari 13 for MacOS Catalina

Steve Jobs would never decide thinks like that. Never.

Apple lost its perfectionism, its admiral about being the best on its creations, and being proud about the USER [to be proud to be using] an Apple Product.

Good times were Steve years

There will be no future for Apple on the middle time, if continuing to limit the users options

Sincerely, the best apple admiral and user for years,

Very disappointed on the current short time

Prado

Can you disable media keys in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.