Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to play video from an external hd?

I have a hard drive (Cocopa) that plays DVDs. I plug its USB into my MacBook Air (using Catalina) and the 'location' registers the hard drive. But it only shows two folders, one 'video', the other 'audio'.

How can I get the DVD movie to play? [All I find online are years-old 'how-to' for an old version of iTunes.]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 5:37 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities David Grant,

We see that you're having an issue with your external storage device. We understand your concern, and we'd be happy to help.

Let's have you create a test user on your Mac and test to see if this is a user or a system wide issue that you're experiencing. The article below will guide you through creating a test user, if needed.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If the issue persists in another user account, then you'd want to reach out to the manufacturer to ask if it is compatible with macOS Catalina.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 5:37 AM in response to David Grant

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities David Grant,

We see that you're having an issue with your external storage device. We understand your concern, and we'd be happy to help.

Let's have you create a test user on your Mac and test to see if this is a user or a system wide issue that you're experiencing. The article below will guide you through creating a test user, if needed.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If the issue persists in another user account, then you'd want to reach out to the manufacturer to ask if it is compatible with macOS Catalina.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

how to play video from an external hd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.