You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to erase hard disk on my iMac before sale.

I follow the advice steps but cannot erase the HD on my iMac. It says Erasing (name of disk') and creating (new name) and then 'Erase process has failed. Press done to continue.'

Then back to square one!

What do I do?

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 2:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 5:24 PM

Have you tried erasing the drive twice in a row? I've encountered a few instances where the erase will fail the first time, but succeed if I immediately erase the drive again.

Are you booted into Recovery Mode, Internet Recovery Mode, or from a bootable macOS USB installer?

Try running the Apple Diagnostics (may not be possible on an older system without the original system DVD).

You may have a failing hard drive.

Edit: Here is an Apple article on how to prepare your Mac for sale or disposal:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 26, 2020 5:24 PM in response to tuftedduck

Have you tried erasing the drive twice in a row? I've encountered a few instances where the erase will fail the first time, but succeed if I immediately erase the drive again.

Are you booted into Recovery Mode, Internet Recovery Mode, or from a bootable macOS USB installer?

Try running the Apple Diagnostics (may not be possible on an older system without the original system DVD).

You may have a failing hard drive.

Edit: Here is an Apple article on how to prepare your Mac for sale or disposal:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Jul 27, 2020 6:53 AM in response to HWTech

I am trying to erase the Drive to sell the imac.

I have followed all the steps of advice to do this. 'How to erase a disk for Mac'.

When I reach item 2 I get the list of disks and click on the top one ST..........., then click on Erase. I name the disk and press erase.

Many attempts have failed. I have tried following other routes and erased the Macintosh HD disk leading to my needing to install a backup because I couldn't reinstall the OSX from Disk utility when it opened. It told me something like 'the system is not available.

The order of Drives on the iMac is

ST......

Mac HD

Apple disk image

OS x Base System.

Am I deleting the wrong one?

Jul 27, 2020 9:18 AM in response to tuftedduck

Assuming you are booting into Recovery Mode, or Internet Recovery Mode, or from a macOS USB installer, It seems like you are doing it correctly. The "ST....." item should be the physical drive for your iMac. Are you selecting GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) when erasing the drive?

If you are reinstalling macOS 10.11 or earlier, then you may need to use the "Partition" tab instead where you would select "1 Partition" in the drop down list box and MacOS Extended (Journaled) should be the default file system. Just verify after the partitioning that "GUID partition" is being used (it should be if macOS was booting on the drive).

If the drive won't erase (or partition for macOS 10.11 or earlier), then the drive may be failing.

unable to erase hard disk on my iMac before sale.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.