Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes on Mac can't connect

On starting up iTunes (MacOS 10.14.6, iTunes (12.9.5.5) reports:

"iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store. A secure network connection was terminated unexpectedly."

What can be done to get this going. It is not a general Internet connection problem and it isn't a problem with the iTunes store itself.

Previously someone had the same problem and received an EXTREMELY UNHELPFUL bot-style response saying:

"Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with syncing music from iTunes to your iPod. It sounds like you are receiving a message that you are unable to connect to the iTunes Store.

This article has some steps that can help: If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services.

Have a fantastic day!"

If you can't be more useful than that then please do not post a reply.

(BTW I suspect a Mac restart might fix it, but ever since Mojave changed its file system to APFS this iMac has got too slow to make that more than a last resort.)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 8:08 AM

I would typically suggest checking for malware with a free trial of Malwarebytes and/or disabling any VPN software as these are common causes of store connection problems. Check your system clock too, connections can be cranky if this is too far off. As well as rebooting your computer you should consider rebooting your router.

tt2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2020 8:08 AM in response to GregProg

I would typically suggest checking for malware with a free trial of Malwarebytes and/or disabling any VPN software as these are common causes of store connection problems. Check your system clock too, connections can be cranky if this is too far off. As well as rebooting your computer you should consider rebooting your router.

tt2

Jul 26, 2020 11:21 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for trying and for applying more human intelligence than the older reply I referenced. As it happens, however, none of those ideas is helpful. What actually fixed it was rebooting MacOS so something needed resetting and a really helpful answer would identify what that was and how to reset it without a reboot. I tried stopping and starting the LAN connection (Ethernet), but that wasn't it.

Interesting suggestion that it might be Malware, but it wold be odd Malware, I think, because the problem went away after a reboot (and that has happened before). It would also be slippery Malware because I am running Kaspersky AV. I'm not running a VPN and if I were I'd be surprised at it generating an intermittent problem like this.

The point about the system clock is a good one, but my system clock is automatically set to an internet time service and is reliably close to the correct time. If faced with a genuine Internet connection problem I would reboot the hub/router/broadband modem and in general that is a helpful suggestion. However, I had tested that already by accessing the iTunes store from an iPod and from another Mac on the same LAN and accessing other Internet services from the Mac with the iTunes problem. All of those worked so I didn't believe the router could have contributed to the problem. (Yes, there could conceivably be a malfunction that could have had that selective effect, but it would be way down the list of possibilities.)

Jul 26, 2020 12:55 PM in response to turingtest2

That's an interesting idea, I'll give it a go when and if. I have several times solved other problems by killing the DNS responder (I usually use Activity Monitor rather than Terminal), but I've never tried explicitly clearing the cache or seemed to need that. Of course if it's a DNS problem then no connection would have been made in the first place and the diagnostic message that says the connection was unexpectedly terminated would be lying - but inaccurate failure messages are endemic to Apple (and probably other) software so maybe never mind about that.

iTunes on Mac can't connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.