Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing

Read all of another thread on syncing, but I have a different aspect to the question of how it works.

My MacBook, iPhone and iPad have variations in what pictures and music are on them. If I synchronise by linking first my iPhone and later my Pad to my MacBook will the files be amalgamated so what isn’t on one will be copied to the other and vice versa? Or will whatever is on the MacBook will simply overwrite what’s on the iPhone/iPad?

Most of my music on my iPhone is downloaded from my CDs. Will that transfer, be ignored, or overwritten when synchronising?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 12:02 PM

The Mac is always the source. You would need to get the music CDs copied to the Mac, then you could synchronize to the two devices.

If you purchase an Apple Music subscriptions, I think you can move all of your music into the cloud and then access from each device. I'm not sure, though as I have never subscribed.

If you turn on Photos in iCloud, then all should be merged into the cloud and accessible by all devices. You may need to purchase more storage to make that happen, though.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2020 12:02 PM in response to scribble12

The Mac is always the source. You would need to get the music CDs copied to the Mac, then you could synchronize to the two devices.

If you purchase an Apple Music subscriptions, I think you can move all of your music into the cloud and then access from each device. I'm not sure, though as I have never subscribed.

If you turn on Photos in iCloud, then all should be merged into the cloud and accessible by all devices. You may need to purchase more storage to make that happen, though.

Jul 26, 2020 3:58 PM in response to scribble12

scribble12 wrote:

Yes, . . . they keep their promises. And preserve their huge profits. Well done Apple. I wonder what they will eventually do with their staggering bank balance. Perhaps they don’t know, so they’ll carry on building it I suppose. Oh well, such is life. But thanks again for your answer explaining syncing.

Well, they spent $50M on developing a scratch-resistant glass for iPhones.

If you don't like capitalism, don't buy anything. Trade your services for other's services.

Syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.