Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fingerprint password

Why am unable to use my fingerprint as a password.

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 8:02 AM

Okay, so now we have an error message, and probably an iPhone with hardware problem.

If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Failing that, contact the folks at Apple, discuss your options and alternatives with them: Get Support.

Find your way to the Chat function there.

10 replies

Jul 26, 2020 1:01 PM in response to mamthamammu

There are many possible reasons.

• Your iPhone does not use Touch ID
  • You are using a website that does not respond to Touch ID
  • You have performed an action such as powering sown your iPhone which requires your passcode upon restarting

Since you told us absolutely nothing about your scenario, we have no idea what applies in your current situation.

Jul 26, 2020 3:19 PM in response to mamthamammu

mamthamammu wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I had access to fingerprint previously, but for few months I haven’t used my phone and now when I am trying to use it my phone I am unable to access my fingerprint Touch ID and even I have updated the phone. Please help me with solution.

Enter your password once, and see if Touch ID then works.

If Touch ID does not then work...

It is possible that you’ll need to retrain the Touch ID sensor, assuming there’s not an issue with the sensor.

Whether that because of changes to your finger, or due to issues or changes within the sensor.

Now if you’ve forgotten your passcode, that can be reset.

Fingerprint password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.