Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16 Internal Mic Volume not Working

The input volume of the internal microphone of my MacBook Pro 16 has suddenly set itself to zero, and whenever I try to move the slider to a higher level in sound settings, it bounces back all the way to the left. Any USB microphones that I connect to the laptop work well without issues. My theory is that this could be related to having recently enabled dictation, which I understand triggers a driver/software installation that may have gone bad. I know that is not hardware related since dictation works well with the internal microphone when activated (volume set up independently) but not with other applications . I did some troubleshooting such as resetting the PRAM and SMC and creating a new user but none of them worked. I will appreciate any suggestions you may have.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 7:35 PM

riconebel Said:

MacBook Pro 16 Internal Mic Volume not Working: The input volume of the internal microphone of my MacBook Pro 16 has suddenly set itself to zero, and whenever I try to move the slider to a higher level in sound settings, it bounces back all the way to the left

———-

A. Try Safe Mode:

Boot into Safe Mode (Hold Down: shift key upon boot). See if this bouncing stops. Items like login items APFS our aside an corrupted temporary, unneeded files are deleted.

B. Update your Mac:

Perhaps there was fix for this in the most recent update. So, update your Mac: Go to: Apple menu > About this Mac... > Check for Updates...

Important:

Prior to Updating, Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update.

Also

C. Reinstall the Drivers:

As for software going bad, uninstall the software > restart your Mac > reinstall it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2020 7:35 PM in response to riconebel

riconebel Said:

MacBook Pro 16 Internal Mic Volume not Working: The input volume of the internal microphone of my MacBook Pro 16 has suddenly set itself to zero, and whenever I try to move the slider to a higher level in sound settings, it bounces back all the way to the left

———-

A. Try Safe Mode:

Boot into Safe Mode (Hold Down: shift key upon boot). See if this bouncing stops. Items like login items APFS our aside an corrupted temporary, unneeded files are deleted.

B. Update your Mac:

Perhaps there was fix for this in the most recent update. So, update your Mac: Go to: Apple menu > About this Mac... > Check for Updates...

Important:

Prior to Updating, Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update.

Also

C. Reinstall the Drivers:

As for software going bad, uninstall the software > restart your Mac > reinstall it.

MacBook Pro 16 Internal Mic Volume not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.