Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

35,000 Photos from 2000 to 2010 help organizing

We have 35,000 photos to organize we have uploaded all to mobile me iGallery and each batch of photos is sorted by date then title of event. But found that it is taking way to long for mobile me to load the photos on the web. Is there any way to organize these events into sub folders. Because mobile me will only allow a root folder then up to 500 photos within that folder. Any suggestions or help with a solution to this would be appreciated. We have each folder password protected and share the album with family and friends to view our "family album". But the large amount is causing it to be slow. Be nice to sort each event into a "year folder" 2000, 2001, 2002, etc. Then there are not near as many folders having to load. Cheers

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), n00b to the mac!

Posted on Jul 22, 2010 7:29 AM

8 replies

Jul 22, 2010 8:08 AM in response to DJMic

No you cannot have "sub-events".

You can, however, have Albums, Albums in folders and - and this might eb very useful for you - Smart Albums.

Be nice to sort each event into a "year folder" 2000, 2001, 2002

File -> New Smart Album

Date -> is in the range -> 1/1/01-> 12/31/01

will get you all the pics from that year.

Regards

TD

Jul 22, 2010 10:18 AM in response to Old Toad

But does this move all the individual photos in the smart album or my events "folder"?
Also is it still limited to only 500 photos within that smart album?

Example:
Our family photos are sorted as follows...

2010 - 01-02 - Kids playing at the park
2010 - 01-12 - Samantha's piano concert
etc...

Another example is...
2009 has 216 folders sorted as shown above and 9,964 photos within

Jul 22, 2010 10:35 AM in response to DJMic

But does this move all the individual photos in the smart album or my events "folder"?

It does neither. When a photo shows up in an album it's just a pointer pointing to the original photo in the Event. So you can have the same photo in many albums, slideshows, etc. and still only have one copy of it in the library. I know of no limit to the number of photos that a smart album or any album can have.

As far as your example you would have an Event for each of the folders imported. Your event names would be like "010 - 01-02 - Kids playing at the park", "2010 - 01-12 - Samantha's piano concert", etc. If you want to create albums of each event and put it in a folder titled 2009 you can but it might be more effort that it's worth as you can do searches for titles, event names, any text, date, etc. There are many ways to you can locate a particular photo.

You can use the search by date to find photos taken on a give day, a week, or month based on the EXIF Capture Date that the digital camera adds to each photo as it's taken.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

iPhoto is a DAM (digital asset management) application that is based on a database. You can identify photos with keywords, new titles or descriptions and then search by those items like this keyword search:

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

You can search for any text entered into this search box, User uploaded file. It can be part of the file name, title, description, event title, album title, etc.

With iPhoto you don't manage folders anymore. Create a library, import a few folders and experiment with the various features. If you mess things up then delete the library, create a new one, import a few folders and try again.

Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM in response to Old Toad

OK iPhoto is a very cool tool I played with some of the smart album features and such and ya they work great.
BUT me.com and iGallery suck!
No matter what setting or what you used you can not do more than a single folder with no more than 500 photos in it.
Really limits you iGallery is not meant for sharing photo "albums" online with family and friends is more for "storing & sharing" limited photos with family & friends.
* USELESS TO ME * I won't be renewing my subscription next year unless they make some changes.

35,000 Photos from 2000 to 2010 help organizing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.