Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud extra storage - photos

Hi, I bought icloud extra storage 3 days ago for my iphone. I signed into my icloud but I don’t see any pictures or videos in icloud. Is this normal?

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 8:41 AM

You can’t buy extra storage for your iPhone; it will never have more storage than it had when you bought it. What you bought is iCloud storage on Apple’s servers; this space is for backups and content syncing. But the key word is “syncing” - anything in iCloud is duplicated on your phone, and if you delete something from your phone it will also be deleted from iCloud.

To sync photos to iCloud, on the phone go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud and turn on the switch for Photos. Then leave your phone plugged in and connected to Wi-Fi so the photos can sync to iCloud.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2020 8:41 AM in response to Hapa1023

You can’t buy extra storage for your iPhone; it will never have more storage than it had when you bought it. What you bought is iCloud storage on Apple’s servers; this space is for backups and content syncing. But the key word is “syncing” - anything in iCloud is duplicated on your phone, and if you delete something from your phone it will also be deleted from iCloud.

To sync photos to iCloud, on the phone go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud and turn on the switch for Photos. Then leave your phone plugged in and connected to Wi-Fi so the photos can sync to iCloud.

Jul 27, 2020 11:57 AM in response to Hapa1023

Yes, your plan would work as long as your Internet connection is good and your phone is logged in to the same Apple ID that you go to https://icloud.com and log in with. Once they are in iCloud you can download them from iCloud to your computer, or just view them in the Photos app on your Mac and export them from Photos to your external drive.

But it should also work to use a USB connection to your Mac as described in this Apple support article—>Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support, and that would be much faster.

Jul 27, 2020 10:17 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you! How long does it take for photos to show up on icloud after it’s been synced? I didn’t have my photos automatically synced before but since I’m running out of storage on my phone, I decided to buy extra icloud storage to upload my photos there but it doesn’t seem to be uploading to icloud. I do have 10000 ish photos/videos so I’m not sure if it’s just taking a while to upload.

Jul 27, 2020 11:15 AM in response to Hapa1023

That depends on your Internet connection speed. Did you turn on photo sync as I described? Are you connected to Wi-Fi on the phone? Do you leave the phone plugged in? Assuming an average photo size of 4 MB, 10,000 photos will occupy about 40 GB (you can verify this by going to Settings/general/iPhone storage and see how much space is occupied by Photos. If you have, say, a 100 mbps network connection, which corresponds roughly to 10 megabytes per second, it will take about 4,000 seconds or about 1 1/2 hours. If your network connection speed is only 10 mbps it will take about 15 hours.

But remember that uploading your photos to iCloud will not free any space on your phone. Your photos will still be on your phone, and will take up that same 40 GB. And you can’t delete them from your phone, because that will also delete them from iCloud.

If you want to free space on your phone you should sync your photos to an archiving service such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Jul 27, 2020 11:45 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you so much for the tips! Yes I did turn it on like you told me. I was hoping the photos would go to icloud and I can save it to an external hard drive from there before I delete the photos on my phone. I tried backing up my photos by connecting to my Mac laptop but for some reason it won’t upload the photos so I was hoping the icloud would be a work around but it’s been 3 days and it’s not synching to icloud.

icloud extra storage - photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.