Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpod pros as a microphone

I am a teacher about to return to the classroom with a mask. Many teachers are spending money buying a microphone so they can be better heard by the students. I am trying to figure out a way to use my new AirPod Pros as a live mic. I have a MacBook Pro as my teacher computer and speakers that connect to it for audio output. I have tried setting my sounds settings to using the AirPods Pro as the "input" and changing the "output" to either internal speakers or external speakers, but I am not getting sound through the speakers. Can this be done?

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 11:01 AM

Try to give input in your mac from airpods:

Connect your AirPods with your Mac

With your AirPods in their case, open the lid. Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the status light flashes white.

On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth. Select AirPods in the Devices list, then click Connect.

To get Output from your macbook to other device Ex. Externally attached speakers

easily multiple audio outputs on Mac Try This:

Click the plus (+) button at the lower left of the Audio Devices window and select Create Multi-Output Device. Right-click (or Ctrl-click) the Multi-Output Device in the list that you just created, and select Use This Device For Sound Output.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2020 11:01 AM in response to teachertalk7

Try to give input in your mac from airpods:

Connect your AirPods with your Mac

With your AirPods in their case, open the lid. Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the status light flashes white.

On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth. Select AirPods in the Devices list, then click Connect.

To get Output from your macbook to other device Ex. Externally attached speakers

easily multiple audio outputs on Mac Try This:

Click the plus (+) button at the lower left of the Audio Devices window and select Create Multi-Output Device. Right-click (or Ctrl-click) the Multi-Output Device in the list that you just created, and select Use This Device For Sound Output.

Jul 27, 2020 11:08 AM in response to UvTechSoft

Also Try this ->

How to Output Mac Audio to Two Audio Devices

Make sure that the headphones you want to use together are paired with your Mac over Bluetooth and/or connected via the headphone jack.

Launch the Audio MIDI Setup app, located in Applications/Utilities.

Click the plus (+) button at the lower left of the Audio Devices window and select Create Multi-Output Device.

Right-click (or Ctrl-click) the Multi-Output Device in the list that you just created, and select Use This Device For Sound Output. (You can also opt to Play Alerts and Sound Effects Through This Device from the same menu.)

Tick the sets of headphones that you want to use in the Audio Device list. (If one is a wired pair, tick Built-in Output.)

Select a Master Device in the drop-down menu.

Tick Drift Correction for the slave device in the Audio Device list.

Launch System Preferences (select  -> System Preferences... from the menu bar) and open the Sound pane.

Click the Output tab and choose the Multi-Output Device or "Aggregate device" in the list, and you should be good to go.

Airpod pros as a microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.