Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods no longer charging to 100%

I've had this airpods 1st gen I guess for about three years and I just noticed that last year, it used to charge up to 100%, this time, after putting it in the charger from 10am to 1pm, it only went to 96%. Is this normal wear and tear?

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 7:04 AM

jasmine26,

Since it sounds like the issue is still occurring after resetting the AirPods, we'd like to have our support team take a closer look into this with you.

Please contact our support team here:

Get Support

We appreciate you working with us, and we hope you have a nice rest of your day!

8 replies

Jul 30, 2020 12:13 PM in response to jasmine26

Hey jasmine26,

It sounds like your AirPods aren't charging fully, and we'd love to look into this with you!

Just to clarify, is it the AirPods that stop charging at 96%, or is the issue happening with the charging case? If your AirPods aren't fully charging, the steps and information on the following page may help:

If your AirPods won’t charge

If you'd like to learn more about the battery life for AirPods, please check out this page as well:

Charge your AirPods and learn about battery life

Have a nice day!

Aug 5, 2020 6:39 AM in response to jasmine26

jasmine26,

Thanks for following up with us, and for providing those additional details.

It sounds like the issue only happens with one AirPod, is that right? If so, which one is affected (left or right)?

Does the battery percentage ever appear to fluctuate when you view it via the battery widget on your iOS device, or does it always show 96% or 97%?

If the issue is only happening with one AirPod, it's possible that the issue may be hardware related, but we'd like to rule out other possible causes first.

Just to confirm, since noticing this issue, have you had a chance to try cleaning your AirPods and their charging case? If not, we'd suggest cleaning the AirPods and charging case to help ensure dust or debris isn't affecting charging.

This page has some great information on cleaning your AirPods:

How to clean your AirPods and EarPods

Thanks!

Aug 5, 2020 12:15 PM in response to jasmine26

jasmine26,

Thanks very much for letting us know. We want to make sure we look at all possible causes and solutions.

Just to confirm, since noticing this issue, have you tried resetting your AirPods? If not, we'd like to see if resetting the AirPods helps improves things.

This page outlines the steps to reset the AirPods:

Reset your AirPods

If the issue continues to happen with the battery percentage, please reach out to our support team for further assistance:

Get Support

Take care!

Aug 10, 2020 5:44 AM in response to jeremy_v

I apologize. The second sentence was supposed to be the first. The first sentence was supposed to be the second sentence. And I should have followed up with “ I’m gonna give resetting a try”. I couldn’t find a reply button so I just checked Solved.. my AirPods are now back at full capacity since I’ve done what was suggested to me. Thank you all very much for your patience in helping me.

AirPods no longer charging to 100%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.