Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine no longer works in Catalina 10.15.5

I have been running automatic backups to Time Machine on my Airport for years. But since upgrading to Catalina the backups have stopped working. After years of seamless operation it's frustrating that this has suddenly arisen. Clearly from the forums this is a real issue for Apple but not apparently being resolved.

This is the error message:

Time Machine could not delete the backup disk image “/Volumes/.timemachine/Duniya AirPort Time Capsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local./F7289E93-8BD1-4FC4-8736-B0C33C23F61E/Data/DuniyaMac2018.purgeable.sparsebundle”.

Do I need to erase the whole 3TB disc and start over, and if so, how do I do that? Or is there a better way to resolve this extremely annoying issue?

Thank you anyone who can help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 2:59 AM

When moving a whole version like Mojave to Catalina it is often cleaner to either get a new disk or to use Disk Utility to erase the disk (and format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202784#format

Similar questions

4 replies

Time Machine no longer works in Catalina 10.15.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.