Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can´t make bootable usb on imac 2008 running el capitan

Hi,

i have imac 2008 and mac os el capitan on it. i will make bootable usb drive for my friend, but i can´t. i format my usb as mac os extended and GUID parition map, then i downloaded InstallMacOSX.dmg file from apple double click on it and i have installmacosx.pkg . (i cant find The El Capitan installer to the /Applications folder) . i click on this package and i have ALERT: "OS X v10.11.6 is already installed on this computer. Use the Updates page to install the 10.11 update or if you would like to download the full OS X installer click Continue" . i click continue and have to select destination disk, but when i select my external usb drive, i have message: "os x can't be installed on this disk. macos isn't installed" . Can you help me ?

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 10:36 AM

When asked to select a disk to install to you need to choose your macs internal disk not the USB.

The .pkg will create the Install OS X El Capitan.app in your Application folder.

With the installer app in Applications you can then create your bootable USB using the Terminal app

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 10:36 AM in response to kawia

When asked to select a disk to install to you need to choose your macs internal disk not the USB.

The .pkg will create the Install OS X El Capitan.app in your Application folder.

With the installer app in Applications you can then create your bootable USB using the Terminal app

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Jul 28, 2020 11:21 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank you

very very much, you saved my life, money and time! Thank you so much!

I have one

more question: I run el capitan on my friend’s imac , it is ok, but I think his

imac has a problem: when he clicks on videos, imac keeps restarting

automatically(without any messages or attention etc.)  sometimes imac keeps restarting randomly, but

in most cases when he opens videos, i have noticed that imac also keeps restarting

when I unplug keyboard cable from it. Imac model: iMac 20-inch, Early 2008I use

safe mode – in this mode imac’s sound is muted and we can watch videos longer

but imac still keeps restarting.  Its

hard drive problem or something else?

Jul 29, 2020 12:46 AM in response to kawia

To check if the hard drive on the mac is working ok download and install this app, there is a free trial period.

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

How much free space is there on the mac it is advisable not to let it run down to less than 15-20GBs.

Have the macs vents been cleaned out, they can get filled with dust causing overheating.

As it is an older mac it is possible you can get the back cover off and give it a good clean with compressed air.

Also download this free app http://www.etrecheck.com, run it, it will generate a report on what is on your mac

and potential problems. you can post the report back here using the Additional Text button which is third from

the right of the icons you see on the bottom of a reply window here.

The report does not contain any personal information.

Jul 30, 2020 12:22 AM in response to kawia

First of all the DriveDX report shows no problems with the drive.

The etrecheck report does not show any real problems either, although CleanMyMa is installed.

this software is not recommended at all it is more likely to cause problems on your mac rather than

provide any benefit. Use the developers instructions on how to uninstall the app thoroughly,

simply deleting the app does not work as it installs its files throughout your mac.

Macs do not need any cleaning or optimising apps, macs tend to look after themselves pretty well.

This also goes for any anti-virus apps, there are no viruses that affect the mac.

If the mac still has problems with shutting down on its own the try the Apple Hardware Test,

when the mac was new it would have been supplied with two dark grey DVDs, the second

one will contain the AHT, the instructions on how to boot from it are printed on the disk.

i can´t make bootable usb on imac 2008 running el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.