Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Interpret this Panic report

My mac mini 2018 randomly shuts down and restarts again, giving the attached report.

Can anyone tell me how to interpret this panic report?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 1:17 PM

Most likely a hardware problem.

Take it to an Apple Store or Authorized repair center for evaluation.

If you have external devices connected (excluding printer, mouse, keyboard), disconnect them and see if the panics stop. If they do, then it is the external hardware.

You can try resetting NVRAM. That might fix an extremely rare cause of kernel panics.

A Page Fault is memory related, so you could try running Apple Diagnostics to check the RAM, but it may be some other memory-related component.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 1:17 PM in response to tequilajack

Most likely a hardware problem.

Take it to an Apple Store or Authorized repair center for evaluation.

If you have external devices connected (excluding printer, mouse, keyboard), disconnect them and see if the panics stop. If they do, then it is the external hardware.

You can try resetting NVRAM. That might fix an extremely rare cause of kernel panics.

A Page Fault is memory related, so you could try running Apple Diagnostics to check the RAM, but it may be some other memory-related component.

Jul 28, 2020 1:48 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the fast reply.

I had already disconnected everything except for my Matias keyboard (I have a magic trackpad).

I resetted the NVRAM and did an Apple Diagnostics like you suggested and it said no errors ADP000.

I can't take it to an Apple store due to Covid quarantine where I live, we are in lockdown again due to a second wave...

Thanks for the advice. If it's memory related would it be wise to upgrade the RAM? I have 8 gigs atm.

Jul 28, 2020 2:12 PM in response to tequilajack

Not certain it is the RAM. A Page Fault is memory related, but not necessarily the RAM. Any RAM test is not conclusive unless it finds a fault. They can't test every part of it. But, I would not suspect the RAM if it passed.

Does the keyboard use any software to make it work? The panic log didn't indicate it does (or at least it wasn't loaded at the time of the panic).

Jul 28, 2020 3:30 PM in response to tequilajack

If there is some weird problem with the drive, you can try running First Aid on the drive while booted in Recovery. Not likely to help, but something to try.

You can try to erase the drive completely and reinstall the OS. Again, not likely to fix anything but maybe worth a try. Make sure you have at least one good backup that you can restore from.

I would erase and reinstall the OS. When the Startup Assistant runs, don't migrate anything and create a new user account that is not the same as any other. That will make it easy to Migrate, later, from your backup.

Jul 28, 2020 3:37 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you, I'll try that.

I don't know if there is any weird problem with the drive or with anything really. I have installed mac fan control because I thought it was overheating, but that's not it either, it randomly shuts down and immediately reboots and gives the panic report, really weird and very annoying, especially on this quite new machine.

I have a MBP '13 and it still runs awesome and never has any problems or kernel panics, I really don't get it.

How to Interpret this Panic report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.