Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using a Time Capsule as a WI-FI extension to an Airport Extreme

I want to hard wire connect an Airport Extreme 6th generation base station to an Airport Time Capsule 5th generation to get a good signal and backup. How do I set this up? can i use my current wi-fi name and password?

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 2:36 PM

I am currently using the original Airport Time capsule

It's your call, but this product is 10+ year old, and it is nothing short of a miracle that it is still working. Frankly, it should have failed years ago. I would not keep any data on the Time Capsule hard drive that I could not afford to lose. Hopefully you are planning to use the Time Capsule just for additional wireless signal coverage.

I have a lot of wireless devices in my home. I suppose I will have to reset all of those as well.

There is no reason to do this. The AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule will both be using the same wireless network name and password, so your devices will connect to either the AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule automatically.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 2:36 PM in response to dlfishing

I am currently using the original Airport Time capsule

It's your call, but this product is 10+ year old, and it is nothing short of a miracle that it is still working. Frankly, it should have failed years ago. I would not keep any data on the Time Capsule hard drive that I could not afford to lose. Hopefully you are planning to use the Time Capsule just for additional wireless signal coverage.

I have a lot of wireless devices in my home. I suppose I will have to reset all of those as well.

There is no reason to do this. The AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule will both be using the same wireless network name and password, so your devices will connect to either the AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule automatically.

Jul 28, 2020 2:17 PM in response to dlfishing

Easy to do.

Make sure that there is a good wired Ethernet connection from one of the 3 LAN <--> ports on the AirPort Extreme to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a minute, then hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

On your Mac......

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on Time Capsule

When you click on Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then suggest the correct setup for the Time Capsule. Your screen will look similar to the example below, except that you will see an AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule displayed along with the name of your wireless network.

Base Station Name Type in a device name that you want to call the Time Capsule

Click Next

Watch the next screen very carefully to see that the Time Capsule is being set up to extend using Ethernet. This will confirm that the correct settings will automatically be applied to the Time Capsule to use the same wireless network name and password as the AirPort Extreme.

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done........and you are done.

using a Time Capsule as a WI-FI extension to an Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.