Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download and watch via apple TV/ Airplay

Can i download a movie in itunes in HDR on my mac and then watch it on my big screen TV via apple TV/airplay? I have slow streaming speeds, but can download to a mac eventually... but I don't want to watch on my mac, I want to watch on my apple TV connected large screen via airplay. Can I do that? seems like maybe only in HDR, not 4K?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 7:39 PM

If your Mac is HDR capable, then you may be able to download an HDR version of a movie. HDR playback may be limited to the built-in display for some Mac models. You would not be able to download content from Apple in 4K resolution.

Play HDR video on your Mac - Apple Support

Find and watch movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos - Apple Support

Remember to turn off the AirPlay setting to stream from the cloud anyway, if your goal is to stream a local file, for items from the iTunes Store or Apple TV app Channel content.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 7:39 PM in response to watchlater

If your Mac is HDR capable, then you may be able to download an HDR version of a movie. HDR playback may be limited to the built-in display for some Mac models. You would not be able to download content from Apple in 4K resolution.

Play HDR video on your Mac - Apple Support

Find and watch movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos - Apple Support

Remember to turn off the AirPlay setting to stream from the cloud anyway, if your goal is to stream a local file, for items from the iTunes Store or Apple TV app Channel content.

Download and watch via apple TV/ Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.