Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get MacOS 10.8 on my MacBook Pro Early 2011 when it keeps wanting to recover using 10.15.

I had to replace my hard drive in my MacBook Pro Early 2011.

When I tried to install using Recovery Mode, for some reason it keeps trying to install the latest MacOS version — MacOS 10.15.

My Mac can't run anything newer then 10.13.

I have tried to install 10.8, 10.9, and 10.13 on an external drive, using my iMac, and I keep getting an error.

It tells me I can't use the installer or app (tried both pkg and app) saying it is too old to run on this Mac.

Any help please.

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 8:41 PM

Pre-Installed MacOS:X 10.6.6 (10J3210)Maximum MacOS:X 10.13.x*

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#notupdated

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 8:41 PM in response to random47

Pre-Installed MacOS:X 10.6.6 (10J3210)Maximum MacOS:X 10.13.x*

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#notupdated

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

How do I get MacOS 10.8 on my MacBook Pro Early 2011 when it keeps wanting to recover using 10.15.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.