Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone backup does not include text messages.

iPhone backup does not include text messages to the iCloud.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 3:15 PM

10 replies

Jul 29, 2020 3:48 PM in response to sberman

I am trying to back up my messages to the cloud so I can retrieve them when necessary.

I just signed out of my phone and signed back in again. I got an error message stating that messages could not be backed up. I signed out and sign back in again and this time it appeared to work. I have yet to go to iCloud.com to see if messages are there. as they were not before. From what I’ve said am l doing something wrong that prevents me from backing my essages up to the cloud?

Jul 29, 2020 3:52 PM in response to prime26

prime26 wrote:

I have yet to go to iCloud.com to see if messages are there. as they were not before.

This is the incorrect process!

The messages would be retained in your iPhone’s backup, which happens to be housed in iCloud. The messages are not accessible at iCloud.com. They are only accessible by restoring the backup.

Jul 29, 2020 5:01 PM in response to prime26

prime26 wrote:

I am trying to back up my messages to the cloud so I can retrieve them when necessary.

What you are trying to do is not possible. You can’t store messages in iCloud so that you can retrieve them when you want them. You either backup messages with iCloud and can restore them when you restore a backup, or you sync messages with iCloud in which case they are not included in the backup.

If you sync messages with iCloud and you delete them on the phone, you also delete them in iCloud and they cannot be recovered.

Jul 29, 2020 5:02 PM in response to prime26

There are several ways to use iCloud. If you go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud and turn on messages they will sync to iCloud. you can’t view them there, but if you have any other Apple devices logged into iCloud they will be visible on those devices.

If you do not turn on Messages as above and you then back up to iCloud or to your computer the messages will be in the backup. However, you can’t view them in the backup; all you can do is restore the backup to your phone, which will overwrite everything on it.

If you don’t turn on Messages in iCloud settings there is an indirect way to see them in a computer backup (but not an iCloud backup) by getting a 3rd party iPhone backup extractor program for your computer. This will let you view them and print them out, but not use them or reply to them. There is one backup extractor program that can recover them from an iCloud backup, however. You can get this app from icloudbackupextractor.com. It is NOT free, however, and I personally don’t think the price is even reasonable.

iPhone backup does not include text messages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.