Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I "tag" equations when saving a Pages document as a PDF?

When saving my Pages documents as PDF, I have Accessibility set to "On" yet it seems my equations aren't "tagged" for ADA compliance. Does anyone know if there is a why to do this? Word seems to do this by default, but I am having difficulty getting it to work on Pages. I can go back to using Word if I need to, but would like to transition to using Pages, if possible. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 7:13 PM

Pages does not produce ADA compliant output, and Apple's PDF library does not do tagged PDF when exporting Pages content. An accessibility PDF must be PDF/UA ISO 14289 document standard, and Apple's PDFKit has no support for creating any PDF/A, PDF/X, or PDF/UA document. You will probably need to use MS Word and export to PDF via Adobe Acrobat Pro DC to achieve the PDF/UA standard.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 7:13 PM in response to Lazerack

Pages does not produce ADA compliant output, and Apple's PDF library does not do tagged PDF when exporting Pages content. An accessibility PDF must be PDF/UA ISO 14289 document standard, and Apple's PDFKit has no support for creating any PDF/A, PDF/X, or PDF/UA document. You will probably need to use MS Word and export to PDF via Adobe Acrobat Pro DC to achieve the PDF/UA standard.

Jul 30, 2020 4:10 AM in response to Lazerack

There is an astronomical royalty and software disruption expense to upgrading the Apple PDF library that has been in use for over a decade. Yes, it would be superb to generate current PDF standard documents, but it is more business practical for Apple to let users subscribe to Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, or other less expensive, non-subscription, third-party PDF Editor libraries for that purpose.

How do I "tag" equations when saving a Pages document as a PDF?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.