Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What causes the restore screen on the iPhone XS Max?

So my iPhone has had this message on an all black screen: support.apple.com/iphone/restore. My phone does not turn on or update using the methods seen on YouTube. I tried to restore it but that also didn't work, it gave me the unknown error screen when I tried to restore it. I am going to get a new phone tomorrow but I just want to know why does this happen to an iPhone? What could have caused this and why wouldn't it even let me restore the phone all together?

Thanks

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 5:36 PM

It’s hard to say exactly what causes it but it’s a software issue that can only be resolved by restoring the iOS software. It’s not totally uncommon and it can occur for absolutely no reason whatsoever that you can determine.

Did you try recovery mode?

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 5:36 PM in response to Leongorani

It’s hard to say exactly what causes it but it’s a software issue that can only be resolved by restoring the iOS software. It’s not totally uncommon and it can occur for absolutely no reason whatsoever that you can determine.

Did you try recovery mode?

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

What causes the restore screen on the iPhone XS Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.