Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari has invalid code signature

macOS Version 10.14.6

Safari Version 13.1.2

$ codesign --verify -v /Applications/Safari.app 
/Applications/Safari.app: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

This is followed by a long list, hundreds of lines long, each line something like:

file added: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/de.lproj/ExtensionBuilderSettingItem.strings
file added: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/de.lproj/TestDriveMigrationBannerViewController.strings
file added: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/de.lproj/ExtensionBuilderContent.strings

I upgraded to Mojave less than a week ago and wiped the drive clean before upgrading.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 8:14 PM

I talked with Apple support this morning and went through a bunch of steps trying to figure out what might have happened here. Here are the steps taken so far:

1. Open Safari and remove any extensions. Run codesign again. (No change).
  2. Open System Preferences and look for a Profiles icon. (No Profiles found)
  3. Back in System Preferences select Network > Advanced > Proxies. (No proxies connected)
  4. Double check and make sure Safari is up to date. (Safari Version 13.1.2 - most current version as of this writing)
  5. Go to malwarebytes.com and download the free trial version. Run the program to check for malware. (Nothing found)

From researching this I have found a few other similar cases, yet no definitive answers. At this point I'm less worried and more curious than anything else. It seems like its a lot of duplicate files ported to other languages. (verbal languages, not programming languages). In total it's 1021 files added.

I ran a couple of commands to get a unique list of directory names and a unique list of file names. I'm attaching those here.

Update: I asked a friend of mine to run the same command on his Mac. Same results. So it seems to not be an isolated incident.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 8:14 PM in response to Crackbot

I talked with Apple support this morning and went through a bunch of steps trying to figure out what might have happened here. Here are the steps taken so far:

1. Open Safari and remove any extensions. Run codesign again. (No change).
  2. Open System Preferences and look for a Profiles icon. (No Profiles found)
  3. Back in System Preferences select Network > Advanced > Proxies. (No proxies connected)
  4. Double check and make sure Safari is up to date. (Safari Version 13.1.2 - most current version as of this writing)
  5. Go to malwarebytes.com and download the free trial version. Run the program to check for malware. (Nothing found)

From researching this I have found a few other similar cases, yet no definitive answers. At this point I'm less worried and more curious than anything else. It seems like its a lot of duplicate files ported to other languages. (verbal languages, not programming languages). In total it's 1021 files added.

I ran a couple of commands to get a unique list of directory names and a unique list of file names. I'm attaching those here.

Update: I asked a friend of mine to run the same command on his Mac. Same results. So it seems to not be an isolated incident.

Safari has invalid code signature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.