Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS software update (10.15.6) stuck at preparing update

I downloaded the software update 10.15.6 using Software update and when I press the install now button it just shows - 'preparing update' and stays there. I waited for nearly 1.30-2.00 hrs.

I also tried to install the same by manually downloading the update package file from Apple. But still the same issue.

This update contains a solution to one of the problem I am facing - "Resolves an issue where certain USB mouse and trackpads may lose connection". So I need to install this update. Please let me know if there is any solution to resolve the update stuck issue.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 8:40 AM

Thank you for those details, nbn.ijk!

Are you able to sign in to the MacBook Pro as the administrator?

Are you connected via Wi-Fi? If so, can you try a different network or ethernet connection?

Also, can you go ahead and try signing in to a different user account to see if you can update there? This will help us determine if the issue is user specific.

Please let us know how it goes, or if you get any error messages.

Thanks!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2020 8:40 AM in response to nbn.ijk

Thank you for those details, nbn.ijk!

Are you able to sign in to the MacBook Pro as the administrator?

Are you connected via Wi-Fi? If so, can you try a different network or ethernet connection?

Also, can you go ahead and try signing in to a different user account to see if you can update there? This will help us determine if the issue is user specific.

Please let us know how it goes, or if you get any error messages.

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2020 1:32 PM in response to nbn.ijk

Hi nbn.ijk,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We see no one has responded to your post yet. To assist the community in replying, you might consider providing more information about what you’re experiencing. Including the following details in your post may be helpful:

What’s happening? If you receive an error message, what does it say?

What device is this happening with? Which software version?

Are you able to reproduce the issue? What actions do you take to reproduce it?

The more information you provide, the better chance the community will be able to offer some additional guidance.

Have a great day!

Aug 4, 2020 6:45 AM in response to cp from OH

This is happening on my new MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

I am using macOS Catalina 10.15.5. I am trying to update to 10.15.6. But I am stuck at the 'preparing update' screen.

I tried to delete the files in Library/Updates/ so that I can re-download the updates. But Updates folder's write permission is restricted to the system. So i cannot change the permission and delete those file.

I manually downloaded the update file macOSUpd10.15.6.dmg and macOSUpd10.15.6Combo.dmg and tried to install from the downloaded file. but still face the same issue.

Aug 6, 2020 7:09 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thank you for your response.

I only have one admin account and I am logging in as that user.

I had tried between WiFi and my mobile data. But had faced the same issue. But I tried again with my mobile data last day and unexpectedly the installation was success. I am not sure if this is network related because I had tried both earlier.

Aug 6, 2020 7:10 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thank you for your response.

I only have one admin account and I am logging in as that user.

I had tried between WiFi and my mobile data. But had faced the same issue. But I tried again with my mobile data last day and unexpectedly the installation was success. I am not sure if this is network related because I had tried both earlier.

macOS software update (10.15.6) stuck at preparing update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.