Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backup data from unbootable hard drive

The internal drive on my iMac would not boot. I used the command-R on restart then reloaded high sierra. When I tried to boot after that, it only went as far as the login screen and it would not take my password. I was able to boot the computer from an external drive and the internal drive showed up, with the directories and files appearing to be intact, but I imagine somehow the OS files had become corrupted.

My plan is to re-format the internal hard drive and install a new high sierra. Unfortunately my last time machine back up was several months ago. Since the files appear to be intact on the internal HD, is there some way to backup the files on that drive using time machine from the external drive so that I could restore them to internal HD? Could I achieve the same results with carbon copy Cloner?

Thanks for your help!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 5:25 PM

Try installing to an external drive, booting from the external & then Migration Assistant or CCC.

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 9, 2020 9:47 AM in response to BDAqua

I booted from a flash drive then was able to copy the drive to a blank drive. I also found that I could use CCC on the drive to clone it to a folder on another drive then clone that to a volume from which it was bootable. A little complicated since it took several drives but now I know it can work. Many thanks for your advice.

backup data from unbootable hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.