Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you load old versions of apps?

I was given an Early 2008 iMac to use to learn macOS and Apple products. Unfortunately I can't seem to upgrade the macOS, so when I try and download the office apps I want to use on it, I'm told the macOS is too old. Is there a place I can download the old versions of these apps? I have that problem on my iPhone, when I haven't upgraded to a new one the apps stop working and I can't load the upgrade. Is that the same with iMacs? Crappy way to keep you spending money on new hardware!!

Thanks, Ray

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 8:06 AM

Look into the Free LibreOffice, it handles MS Office files…

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Apple macOS (Mac OS X)

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing on a Apple macOS computer are as follows:

• LibreOffice 6.3.x: macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) or higher
  • LibreOffice 6.2.x: macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) or higher
  • Intel processor
  • 512 MB RAM
  • Up to 800 MB available hard disk space
  • 1024x768 graphic device with 256 colors (higher resolution recommended)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 8:06 AM in response to rjwohltman

Look into the Free LibreOffice, it handles MS Office files…

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Apple macOS (Mac OS X)

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing on a Apple macOS computer are as follows:

• LibreOffice 6.3.x: macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) or higher
  • LibreOffice 6.2.x: macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) or higher
  • Intel processor
  • 512 MB RAM
  • Up to 800 MB available hard disk space
  • 1024x768 graphic device with 256 colors (higher resolution recommended)

Jul 31, 2020 7:26 AM in response to rjwohltman

Apple does not maintain a user download location for full installers of prior software, and some software couldn't run on an early 2008 iMac, due to its age.

If you want to run newer software, and not dwell on any extant Apple conspiracy theories, then buy a newer Mac that can install a currently supported operating system and discover a whole bunch of software that you can now install.

Can you load old versions of apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.