Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using old iMac (OS 10.6.8) as second monitor for 13 in MacBook Pro (OS 10.15.6)

Until recently, I used my old iMac as a second monitor for my 2015 era MacBook Pro by simply connecting the computers with a firewire cable. All I had to do was connect both to the cable. However, I am unable to do this with my new 13 in MacBook Pro (OS 10.15.6). I connected the computers using a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (+ same firewire cable previously used with old MacBook) and have tried holding down Command+F2 on the iMac keyboard, but not luck. Suggestions?

MacBook

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 11:55 AM

Is this a 2020 MacBook Pro? If so, they can no longer take advantage of any iMac as an external monitor via Target Display Mode.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Specifically, this "small print":

4 replies

Aug 3, 2020 12:05 PM in response to Allan Jones

How frustrating! Yes, I now have a brand new 2020 MacBook Pro. Until recently, I had been easily using my really old (ca 2010) iMac's display with my relatively old (2015) MacBook Pro by just connecting them with a Firewire cable. Couldn't have been easier. Oh well, it seems that Apple is determined to make their products less and less user friendly... But thanks very much for confirming what I suspected.

Using old iMac (OS 10.6.8) as second monitor for 13 in MacBook Pro (OS 10.15.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.