Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X battery swelling

My iPhone X battery is swelling to the point that it’s popped the screen out from the left, top and right sides of the phone. It gets hot when charging or using the phone. Took it into an “authorized” repair tech at BestBuy Geek Squad — all Apple Stores in North Carolina have been/are closed. Almost immediately grew concerned the phone might explode. They would not touch repairing or attempting to replace the battery. I’ve had iPhones since day one and this sort of thing has never happened to us. I do have an extended warrantee, however, the deductible is high ($200). I don’t think I should be liable for any deductible as this appears to be purely a manufacturing defect. I’ve seen many other such complaints, most of which seemed resolved immediately at the Apple Store. But, they are all closed here. I called Apple, but, they were not sympathetic.

iPhone X

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 12:18 PM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2020 6:15 PM in response to Jon Markle

Yep, Best Buy wouldn’t touch mine. Geek Squad recommend buying new iphone since mine is now trash and would cost $500+ to fix. This Best Buy fortunately was out of the iPhone models I wanted. So I went to AT&T store,,,gentlemen recommended I just go up the street to Batteries&Bulbs store for battery replacement. They did it for $65 ! Now I can use it, trade it,, or sell it. (Note,All components are working properly)

Sep 30, 2020 9:17 AM in response to Joseph_S.

As I previously wrote: Calling Apple gave me no relief whatsoever. And since all Apple stores are still shuttered, I could not avail myself of their Genius Bar. Apple’s Support phone tech referred me to one of their “authorized” repair near me, which was Best Buy’s Geek Squad. They could/would not repair.

i feel like I got an iPhone with a lemon battery. In the end, I had to go with the $200 Insurance deductible, refurbished iPhone X from AT&T. Now some people might think that’s a good deal. I do not. Considering the initial cost for a new iPhone X, it should have lasted more than 2 ½ years. I always buy Apple - desktops, iPhones, iPods, iPads, Apple Watch, AirPort Express, Apple TV, etc. This is the first time I’ve had a catastrophic failure. And it’s the first time I’ve basically been told, “tough luck”.

iPhone X battery swelling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.