Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the 48gb under other? I feel like my iPhone got a virus.

My iPhone storage is full and there is 48gb of storage being taken up by other... literally killing my phone... what do I do?

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 4:03 PM

t appears that most of your data is stuck in the other category.  I only know of one way to clean up the storage and minimize the "other" category and here is how- (This involves erasing your iPhone and restoring it to factory settings and then restoring from a back up file).

1. Back up your iPhone to a computer as shown here ➔ Back up your iPhone to your computer.
  2. Erase your iPhone and restore to factory settings by opening Settings General Reset Erase all content and Settings
  3. Restore your iPhone from that back up file on your computer (Step 1) as shown here ➔  Restore your iPhone from a computer back up.

I know that this may turn into a time consuming event and other members of this forum may have other ideas however this is the method that has worked for me.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 4:03 PM in response to mergime88

t appears that most of your data is stuck in the other category.  I only know of one way to clean up the storage and minimize the "other" category and here is how- (This involves erasing your iPhone and restoring it to factory settings and then restoring from a back up file).

1. Back up your iPhone to a computer as shown here ➔ Back up your iPhone to your computer.
  2. Erase your iPhone and restore to factory settings by opening Settings General Reset Erase all content and Settings
  3. Restore your iPhone from that back up file on your computer (Step 1) as shown here ➔  Restore your iPhone from a computer back up.

I know that this may turn into a time consuming event and other members of this forum may have other ideas however this is the method that has worked for me.

Axel F.

Jul 31, 2020 4:25 PM in response to mergime88

Start by clearing your Safari cache especially if you watch a fair amount of streaming video (and that can include Facebook embedded video clips).

Also check messages & emails that may have attachments (photos, videos, etc.) and clear them.

Check Voice Mail & especially Deleted Voice Mail (when you delete voice mail it goes into its Deleted folder; but to actually get rid of the recorded messages you also have to clear the Deleted voice messages).

Then look for apps that store data and clear all data you don't need. For example, I use Rode Rec to do recordings; the saved recordings are "other" plus when you share or want to save them elsewhere you have to convert them to WAV, AIFF or CAF and those files also get stored on your iPhone as "other". While you may not be using Rode Rec, you may be using other apps that store significant data. Check them.

It's also possible you may have an iOS update that has downloaded to your iPhone but you haven't installed it yet.

All these things take up space as "other."

Useful article:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3388219/iphone-other-storage-what-is-it-and-how-do-you-delete-it.html

What is the 48gb under other? I feel like my iPhone got a virus.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.